Skip to main content
Topic: 1991 8V GTi big bumper for sale (Read 627 times) previous topic - next topic

1991 8V GTi big bumper for sale

Reluctantly selling my 1991 8V GTi .

It's a 3 door 5-gear Manual, Petrol in a lovely blue.  I've owned her since 2009 and before that there were 4 previous owners
The odometer stopped working at just over 159,000 miles and the MOT is until 13th March 2023.
Big bumper, Sunroof, power steering, New Battery Jan2023, New Tyres Dec 2022 Avon ZV7, Sony Bluetooth CD/Radio, 2 sets of keys

General
The car drives well and is driven regularly, although not far. It has just had a new battery and 4 new tyres. It has been well loved and I’ll be sad to let her car go but we need a bigger car, that is more comfortable for longer journeys, and she is getting to the point where she needs a bit more love than I can give her.  A Toad alarm was fitted by the previous owner in 2003, and there are 2 fobs for locking and unlocking the doors.  I tend not to use it as it became a bit sensitive but may just need a rewire. It has central locking, but it stopped working a few years ago.  It has 2 sets of keys which includes 2 fobs, 2 front door/ignition keys and a separate boot keys. 
The speedo stopped working in 2013.  The garage couldn’t work out why unless they removed the gearbox, it wasn’t a legal requirement to have a working speedo and removing the gearbox was an expensive job which wouldn’t necessarily answer why the speedo had stopped working, so it’s still not working. From 2013-2019 I drove around 5000miles/year since then it’s been less than 1000miles/year as I’ve not had to drive to and from work.

Exterior
It’s a 32-year-old car that has been used regularly so has some signs of her age. The paint work is in ok condition but there is some lacquer peeling on the bonnet, which happened in the heat last summer. I’ve tried to keep on top of the rust, but the wheel arches are starting to need some attention at the front.  The sunroof works and doesn’t leak, and there is no rust round the fuel filler cap. The alloys are 15” pretty common actuallyly seen Estoril wheel as came on the Fire & Ice limited edition Golf.  They were refurbished 10 years ago, but the powder coating is starting to bubble and flake again.

Interior
The interior is all original. The upholstery is clean and generally in good condition, but there is a small hole on the driver’s seat.  The headlining was doing well until 40-degree heat last summer and will need replacing.  The only non-original items are the radio which was upgraded around 10 years ago with a Sony Bluetooth CD/Radio and the car mats which are VW Golf mats but not the originals.

The previous owners fitted the following
08/05/2000 new clutch fitted
13/06/2000 new engine fitted – only detail is that the vehicle had to be recovered by the RAC with engine problems.  Only found out when buying new hoses that the engine fitted is a K-Jet engine (DX) and not a Digifant (PB) – as in the log book. Not sure why they didn’t rebuild the original engine.
31/03/01 new starter motor
30/12/08 New Cam Belt

Work done chronological order
13/03/09    dent in O/S side door repaired and new rear quarter (140000)
21/04/10    replace n/s/r brake calliper and both parking brake cables (147443)
08/06/10    Wheels refurbished (stripped and powder coated)
29/10/10   Service (mileage 152603)
03/11/10   Blue Igniter ignition leads fitted
12/1/10   replace oil cooler hoses at oil filter housing (153409)
04/2/11   fitted short exhaust system (154010)
12/9/11   replace front and rear shock absorbers, replace rear wiper motor and repair wiring, new battery  (mileage 157477)
03/02/12   replaced coolant radiator, front antiroll bar D bushes, rear wiper motor, number plate lamps
31/1/13   speedo stopped working (not illegal) told gear box would need to come out to replace speedo drive. (not replaced). Welding to rear panel
12/7/13   replaced front and rear brake discs and pads and o/s/r caliper (159983)
25/9/13   service, replace rear lock, replace fuel hose (159983)
3/12/13   replaced coolant hoses
31/12/13   new battery
05/02/14   replace exchange distributor, n/s and o/s/f lower suspension arms, welding n/s/f (floor) subframe mounting point, n/s and o/s front floor at jacking point
29/8/14   new tyres, replaced brake load limit valve, brake hoses and pipes
19/12/14   service
12/6/15   replace fuel tank straps and split fuel hose
02/11/15   replace rear wheel bearings
12/11/15   replace o/s door handle (genuine VW part)
11/4/16   replace alternator
07/16   replace air intake pipe and breather hose
21/1/18   welding o/s/r sill and n/s/r to arch
22/3/18   replace rear boot panel
11/6/18   replace clutch cable
27/7/18   replaced rear wheel bearing
14/12/18   replaced camshaft housing gasket
29/1/19   replaced n/s track rod end dust cover
26/2/20   replaced parking brake cables abd o/s/r brake caliper
19/10/20   replaced radiator coolant fan, brake master cylinder, fuel hoses and battery
21/12/20   oil and filter change, replaced coolant hose and pipe, wiring loom repair at distributor
26/02/21   welding o/s front floor repair, o/s/f inner wheel well repair, n/s centre floor repair around front passenger seat mount
26/10/21   repaired various vacuum leaks, fitted new rear axle, rear brake lines and brake bleed
23/1/22   welding O/S front inner and outer sill; rear inner and outer; rear lower quarter panel; wheel arch to sill closing panel. N/S repair to rear inner and outer sill; rear sill to wheel arch closing panel. New handbrake cable
05/10/22   replaced front subframe, new alternator and power steering belts
14/10/22   4x new tyres fitted with valve and balance

More details in a folder full of invoices and receipts

Known issues
front wheel bearing noisy and probably need replacing
n/s/f ball joint worn
n/s track rod end  worn
drivers door hinge worn  – door still opens and closes
Peeling lacquer on bonnet
Drivers window winder stiff
rear wiper motor doesn’t work
drivers door handle sticking
odometer/speedo not working
old speakers in parcel shelf – never worked
alloys no dings or flat spots but the powder coating is flaking
small areas of corrosion on body
n/s rear wheel arch corroded
water leak in boot – possibly from rear boot panel welding.
Headlining needs replacing
New battery but is struggling to hold a high charge.  In contact with dealer for replacement

for photos see here https://share.icloud.com/photos/03aHFrQMHj1TwDO5-MSEFtEJw
Located in High Peak, not far from Manchester
Open to offers around £3000
Please get in touch if you're interested or have any questions
Julie

Re: 1991 8V GTi big bumper for sale

Reply #1
Welcome!

The very lovely blue is actually called Bright Blue Metallic (my personal favourite).
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Re: 1991 8V GTi big bumper for sale

Reply #2
thanks Monkey, the log book only refers to it as Blue!  Bright Blue Metallic sounds as good as it looks.  I love the colour too