Skip to main content
Topic: MK2 golf 1.3, 1989 5 speed gearbox oil check (Read 328 times) previous topic - next topic

MK2 golf 1.3, 1989 5 speed gearbox oil check

I need some help!

Whilst in my sons golf the other day, i heard what i thought was a knackered wheel bearing, rumbling sound. Couldn't tell weather it was front or back but it was passenger side. He has gone on holiday, so i got it in the work shop and jacked the passenger side up, and spun the wheels. Both didn't seem noisy. As we replaced the rears a few months ago, i decided to replace the front one to rule it out. Whilst on the stands, i wanted to check the gearbox oil, as there is a slim chance its that? Every where i googled this, it talks about a drain plug at the bottom and a refill plug just above and to the right, on the side. I don't have the refill plug. i have the drain plug but cant see any plug on the side anywhere. And the gear box has recently been Gunk cleaned, so i haven't missed it. I must have a different gearbox? This is definitely the original box as it was a 2 owner barn find with £70k miles on clock. Any body got any idea what box is in it,  how i check the oil and how i refill it?

Thanks

Re: MK2 golf 1.3, 1989 5 speed gearbox oil check

Reply #1
Hi,

What engine/box do you have?

9 times out of 10, you'll have a plug located here:

Hope this helps.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
No i dont have that gear box. The green end cap as shown on your photo, mine is rectangular, black and has VW on it.

Reply #3
If its the same box as the mk2 polo the filler plug is above and to the rear of the LHS drive shaft

Reply #4
Any body else help with this? i dont have the filler plug where its being described above, so i must have a different gearbox?

Reply #5
I think my box is a small block 5 speed, 085.