Skip to main content
Topic: Big bumper fog lights on conversion from small bumper (Read 250 times) previous topic - next topic

Big bumper fog lights on conversion from small bumper

Hi all, my 1988 GTi has had a nice big bumper conversion but came to me without fog lights.

I have found the plug under the coolant tank to wire them in but how do they mount?  Essentially I have a small bumper car (with the small bumper lower front panel's all still in place behind the big bumper.  There doesn't appear to be enough clearance to fit the fog lights between the new big bumper and the small bumper panel behind.  Also I assume on a big bumper car there is a place for the fog brackets to mount onto the front panel which is not there on the small bumper car? Or do the brackets fit to the bumper?

This is the car and these are the fogs I have bought, hoping someone has done this before and has the answers lol!  Thanks in advance.

Re: Big bumper fog lights on conversion from small bumper

Reply #1
When fitting big bumper you should remove the metal front valance as that isn’t needed. But I know it’s often left on with small bumper conversion.

According to parts diagram there is a bar for big bumper that joins the bottom of both front wings, but it appears to be missing on many genuine big bumpers cars ‘mine included’ .

Anyway,  the fog light brackets fit to the bumper not the car. So they stay with the bumper if you remove it.

I presume they fit to the bottom of the bumper iron. But I’ve never paid much attention.

Out of interest where did you get the fog lights?

Re: Big bumper fog lights on conversion from small bumper

Reply #2
Ahhh thats great thank you, good to know they attach to the bumper :-) Looks like I'll need to remove the whole bumper then, I was hoping I could get under and fit them from behind.

I bought these, they are Depo, came from Latvia but only took 5 days to arrive and are spot ion quality:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143310364170