Skip to main content
Topic: GTi 8v only rubbing front offside when turning? (Read 258 times) previous topic - next topic

GTi 8v only rubbing front offside when turning?

Hi all, I have a 1988 GTi 8v with arches fitted.  It also has a KW lowering kit comprising KW shocks and and 40mm lowering springs.  It had 195/45/15's on but I really didn't enjoy the ride so have swapped them out for 195/50/15's which are absolutely perfect apart from ONLY the front offside (drivers side) wheel rub when turning.  Nearside and both rears are absolutely fine.

I thought it may be because I was sat on the offside but the wheel gap is still really tight (10mm) even with none one in the car where as the nearside is fine (20-25mm)

Its never had any damage and I can't see any issue with the spring or shock, is there anything that would cause just the front offside to sit lower? Is there anything I can do to lift it 10mm or do I need to pick up some 30mm drop springs?

This is the kit I have fitted https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/eu/wc498g2001-kw-lowering-kit-with-springs-and-shock-absorbers-lowers-40mm-oem.html

Re: GTi 8v only rubbing front offside when turning?

Reply #1
When you swapped the suspension out, did you change the top mounts for new?
They don't seem to be made like they used to and tend to wear out quite quickly.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
When you swapped the suspension out, did you change the top mounts for new?
They don't seem to be made like they used to and tend to wear out quite quickly.

Ahh yeah thats a good shout thanks, not sure as it had just been fitted when I bought the car.

Im thinking now maybe get some 30mm drop springs as if Im going to have to pull the shocks apart to swap the top mounts I may as well do the springs as well to make sure I sort the rubbing?

Reply #3
I'd do the top mounts only first.
Mk2s have a habit of sitting nose up and having 30mm springs in the front would certainly make this worse!
Also, make sure your camber and tracking are properly aligned, when swapping the suspension out, you completely mess up the camber and it needs to be set up again. There is a chance you could be running positive camber, which will bring the wheel closer to the arch. I typically run at -1.5 degrees for the best handling/tyre wear compromise.

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v