Skip to main content
Topic: Mk2 1.3 no spark (Read 164 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 1.3 no spark

My son's 1989 Mk2 1.3 with transistorised ignition system jcut out suddenly when ticking over fine. Now t won't start.
Fuel OK but no spark at all from coil. Have replaced ignition module, coil, and distributor  (with new Hall sender).
HT leads are recent, but I have substituted coil to distributor lead with known good one and there's no spak from that. Earths are all good and connections all clean and tight.
Finally, thought LT circuit continuity was the only remaining possibility. I have tested as per Haynes with a multimeter, and have now removed the whole ignition bit of the loom,  including Hall sender and ignition module multiplugs. I have tested every wire off the car and continuity is fine on all of them.
So I have replaced or successfully tested every part of the ignition system and still no spark. Can only assume one of the new components is duff, but don't want to have to buy more. Any other ideas welcome.

Re: Mk2 1.3 no spark

Reply #1
Quick update. Finally got back to this after a few weeks of avoiding... As predicted - I'd suspected the ignition module, so bought yet another new one but not quite so cheap, 5 minutes fitting at most and brrrm, off it goes! Serves me right for buying junk.
Moral is- never assume that a new part can't be the culprit.