Skip to main content
Topic: Engine bay cross member issue! Help (Read 173 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine bay cross member issue! Help

Hi all!

Just got on the forum and urgently need help.
I’m in the middle of a restoration I’ve picked up from somebody else and now I’ve come to a point where I’m scratching my head, although it isn’t rocket science but I’m trying to do it the original way.

So yesterday I came to re-fit the engine in the bay and was stopped very quickly when I came to the cross member.
 Apart from the 4 bolts missing from the car, I just can’t seem to make sense of how to mount the crossmember and engine carrier bar.

I have scoured the net trying to find a thread to anybody who either knows or has documented the mounting method.

I’ve also uploaded a pic for reference.
I’m stuck on mounting the crossmember and engine carrier to the engine bay chassis arms.

Bolt number 6 fits though both items and can be mounted to the chassis but are skinny bolts and not convinced of it’s structural integrity. Bolt number 8 which I don’t have, looking at them, there is no thread for the bolts to catch on to, I’ve also looked at Etka online for referencing and still scratching my head.

Am I overthinking the mounting procedure or am I missing something.
A nut looks like the obvious answer to hold the bolt but I still think there could be a different and actual original way to mount it. Please advise me if you’ve also been in the Same predicament, remember guys I didn’t strip the car myself hence why I’m stuck with mounting it.
I hope what I’ve asked was clear. Thanks guys

Re: Engine bay cross member issue! Help

Reply #1
Tell a lie I haven’t uploaded an image because I don’t know how to lol, but here’s a link to the reference image.
https://ibb.co/Fww9Gc5

Re: Engine bay cross member issue! Help

Reply #2
I believe it's like this

Bolt 6 secures the cross member and the rad holder together using part number 3
Bolt 7 secures the cross member etc to the car
Bolts 8 go through and secure the bumper.