Skip to main content
Topic: Rear door help please, (Read 242 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear door help please,

Hey all, im parting ways with the orignal car i purchased last year, but in order to atract the best money, i want to re mot it, i feel it may of had a shady one or 2 in previous hands, a few things very suspect that it really should of failed on for sure, but putting these things right 1st,

the question i have here is, O/S rear door does not open at all, has anyone got any suggestions in how to appraoch it

In my mindset is the following,

-door card can not be removed while door is closed ?
-door latch knob things, cant be accessed in wheel arch ?
-only door handle can be unscrewed, also surround to door realease tab can be removed.

so am i wrong in the above, can i avoid damging the door card, or is that all i have option wise ?

Re: Rear door help please,

Reply #1
When I've had a door lock seize, I've managed to pull the rubber weather strip out from in the inside of the car.
This has then allowed access to the striker and lock mechanism, where I could then use a big flat blade screwdriver to open the latch manually.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
When I've had a door lock seize, I've managed to pull the rubber weather strip out from in the inside of the car.
This has then allowed access to the striker and lock mechanism, where I could then use a big flat blade screwdriver to open the latch manually.

can i assume you mean the door seal, which when pulled out/away gives you a ahandy gap

Reply #3
Yep, that's the one.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
how did you go about grabbingthe bugga, an pulling on it

Reply #5
There's a join at the bottom edge, I managed to fish it out with a screwdriver and then pull it around.
I think it helped that the whole area was doused in WD40 where I'd been trying to free everything up.
Might be worth going over the area with some.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Monkey, thank you so much, i tackled the dreaded job this afternoon. Have to say i didnt hold up much hope. as on 1st appearence doesn't really look like you can access the mech, but with a little trim removed, and seats folding forward, i gently removed the rubber seal. an blow me down, theres the mech with enough access. few seconds later, door opened for the 1st time in what i assume a very long time. im guessing its a siezed mech. Replaced seal, closed door an have ordered one. left the tools and door trim scattered across the parcel shelf waiting my return

Thanks again monkey

Reply #7
No worries mate, really glad you got it open ok!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v