Skip to main content
Topic: Gear linkage going out of alignment  (Read 153 times) previous topic - next topic

Gear linkage going out of alignment

Twice now, when my son was driving his 1.6 driver the gear linkage has gone out of alignment. This time he lost 1/2 and last time 5th. I reset the linkage using the special tool to align the stick and tightened up the pinch bolt. I had done it pretty tight last time so I’m surprised that it twisted out of alignment on the shift rod again. It’s a bit annoying the shift rod doesn’t have a dimple in at to prevent this. Any suggestions as to what might cause this? Is it a common problem. I can’t torque the bolt as I can’t get a torque wrench in, there’s not much space. Thanks

Re: Gear linkage going out of alignment

Reply #1
Check it's a nyloc nut on the pinch bolt. It shouldn't come loose once set.

What is the condition of the rest of the bushes? It worn and there's movement when you set it, it could well be affecting the overall alignment.

A kit like this is what you need.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220783472995?hash=item3367b87163:g:gJAAAOSwsaZifNI2

And even if done previously, new replacement parts only tend to last a few years not the 30+ years of the OE product

Re: Gear linkage going out of alignment

Reply #2
Check it's a nyloc nut on the pinch bolt. It shouldn't come loose once set.

What is the condition of the rest of the bushes? It worn and there's movement when you set it, it could well be affecting the overall alignment.

A kit like this is what you need.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220783472995?hash=item3367b87163:g:gJAAAOSwsaZifNI2

And even if done previously, new replacement parts only tend to last a few years not the 30+ years of the OE product
It seems to have a copper pinched bolt and it was tight.  I've already overhauled the linkage with new bushes.  I think the problem is my son tried to force the car into first gear, when it was still in third, because he didn't realise it was in neutral.  This caused the rod to slip a few mm within the selector and put it out of alignment.  I think I'll strip it, degrease it, and put a touch of locktite on the end of the shift rod under the selector, that way it wont move again if he makes a mistake.