Skip to main content
Topic: A stupid idea i know (Read 123 times) previous topic - next topic

A stupid idea i know

As some of you know i got a mk2 with an engine in it that, im really not keen on. ive got a second car now, so this one was going to go, but with the lad turning 17 soon ish, his rather keen on it, now a 1.3 or 1.6 carb engine dont turn up often.

Yet ive got a mk3 1.4 auto, that is mine should i want it, im going to take some parts full stop, as little earner on ebay,

But engine is 30k from new, still runs, sounds nice, the car it self is not worth saving, but would this be an easy engine swap, or do i mot mine as planned, flog it. Then just find a 1.3/1.6 that already runs etc

Re: A stupid idea i know

Reply #1
As some of you know i got a mk2 with an engine in it that, im really not keen on. ive got a second car now, so this one was going to go, but with the lad turning 17 soon ish, his rather keen on it, now a 1.3 or 1.6 carb engine dont turn up often.

Yet ive got a mk3 1.4 auto, that is mine should i want it, im going to take some parts full stop, as little earner on ebay,

But engine is 30k from new, still runs, sounds nice, the car it self is not worth saving, but would this be an easy engine swap, or do i mot mine as planned, flog it. Then just find a 1.3/1.6 that already runs etc
Personally, I would find the right engine or flog it.
Why?  I bought a standard 1.6 driver for my son for his first car.  Once he passed his test at age 17 I had the 'fun' of insuring it.  It was eye wateringly expensive to insure an unmodified car.  So trying to insure a modified one, regardless of the engine size would be a nightmare.

Re: A stupid idea i know

Reply #2
I get what you saying, how ever from previous dealings of this nature from when i was 20 ish, i had mk2 16v, with a 1.3 engine in it "yes i know a sucker for a dub rather then a volkswagon". How ever insurance was same sort of money give or take £10 when i compared it to a real 1.3 mk2 at the time. Hence is this worth doing or not, insurance id like to think is not the issue, as its just engine size thats changed