J858KLY 20vt Project October 06, 2026, 07:58:36 PM Bought this recently as a bit of a project, with the idea of building a 20 valve. That decision was made considerably easier by the fact it came with a BAM engine!The car itself is a five door Driver, originally a 1.6 auto. The previous owner had already started the conversion and had basically stripped the car right back. The original engine and gearbox were removed, along with the dash, interior, looms, sound deadening, dash and even seat belts! The engine had been mounted in the engine bay on the correct mounts, but that was about as far as the conversion had got.So what I've really bought is a big Mk2 Golf jigsaw puzzle that somebody else has started. Most of the parts that were removed have since been given to me, so hopefully the majority of it is there to put back together, although I'm sure I'll find plenty missing along the way.Condition wise, it seems to be a pretty solid shell in the places that matter. The rear turrets look good, the fuel filler area looks good and the rest of the underside seems reasonably solid for a Mk2. Which is the main reason I went for this car. I had plenty of pictures and videos sent over before buying it and although it's certainly not perfect, it didn't appear to be hiding thousands of pounds worth of welding. There are still a few bits to sort. It needs a jacking point repairing, a patch on the sill and a small repair around the tailgate plinth. Cosmetically it desperately needs a good clean and polish, so it'll be interesting to see how well it comes back up. I've got no plans to make it perfect cosmetically though. I want something I can use and enjoy without worrying too much about it.The engine is a BAM 1.8T 20V, believed to have done around 115k from a TT. It apparently comes with a decent amount of service history, which I'm still waiting to get hold of being maintained by an Audi specialistin High Wycombe.As I bought it, the main useful bits were:• BAM 1.8T 20V engine• 02A CGY Corrado gearbox• Russell Swann converted BAM CE2 loom• BAM ECU• Mk3 VR6 fuel tankThere was no clutch or flywheel and the engine had essentially just been mounted in place (i assume for tranaportation), so there's still plenty to do before it i can think about turbing the key.I've started collecting parts for it and so far I've got:• G60 flywheel• Sachs VR6 clutch• Strengthened clutch arm• Hydraulic clutch setup from a mk4• Mk3 subframe and ABF rear engine bracket• Sytec uprated fuel pump setup• Oversized K04 TIP• 600 x 300 x 76 intercooler• boost pipework• G60 front brake setup• SEAT Ibiza stubby brake master cylinder• INA timing belt and water pump kit• Non AC auxiliary belt setup• Trackslag 3 inch K04 downpipe• Trackslag full 3 inch exhaustThe converted CE2 loom was done by Russell Swann, which is a good starting point. The ECU has just come back from Adlai Phillip for the immobiliser removal and the necessary deletes.I'm sure theres still a fairly long list of little bits to find and work out along the way, as well as putting the interior, dash and wiring back together. I know there will be plenty of things I've not even realised I'm missing yet!For now the plan sounds pretty simple. Get it running, driving, MOT'd and road legal as a 20VT Mk2 and then see what I think of it.I'm not completely sure what I'll do with it if i even complete it. I might keep it as a road car and daily it, turn it into more of a track car, sell it once it's finished, or possibly transplant the 20VT setup into my red Mk2. I still love the ABF in that car though, so I'm in no rush to pull apart something that already works.For now this one can be the project. Put the jigsaw back together, get it running and see where it goes from there 🙂 Last Edit: October 06, 2026, 08:39:06 PM by ianmac86 1 Likes