Skip to main content
Topic: Brian - Sometimes Rolling but Forever a Project... (Read 1196 times) previous topic - next topic

Brian - Sometimes Rolling but Forever a Project...

This thread was started back in 2015 on the old forum, and at one point was called "The Ramblings of a 22 year old" - a fairly accurate title.  The full text from that thread has been copied and pasted here, but in all honesty it's probably not worth the read...

A quick recap instead:
- I bought Brian in 2015, a standard 1.3 pov spec with 118k on the body and 123k on the engine
- I've broken down many times since then (firstly a new engine was required 25mi after purchase)
- I've tried fixing Brian many times since then, but am not very good at fixing things
- In 2016 I took Brian off the road for a 'full restoration'.  The engine has not started since

Re: Brian - Sometimes Rolling but Forever a Project...

Reply #1
Can be a long road sometimes, but it’s worth it. What does it need to get going again? It’s easy to lose the enthusiasm when it’s off the road for a long time, I’ve been there!

Reply #2
What needs doing? Worth asking on here
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #3
Had a few parts arrive this week, but rather than make repeat mistakes and break them, after a bit of advice on here first please!

I feel like it's a really obvious answer but can't work it out for the life of me - how to remove the adjustable seat belt clips?  They're fixed in tight, and I broke the ones on the car trying to remove

Also, any tips on cleaning up screenwash bottles and sunvisors please?

Cheers
Rob

Reply #4
Disolve a dishwasher tablet in a bucket of warm water and emerse the washer bottle overnight.
Be careful though because I believe the tablet contains bleach. Mine came up like new.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
If you're talking about the adjuster knob, it's pushed in pretty tight with a small metal retainer, but should come free with some wiggling/gentle persuasion.
I'd recommend bolting it to the car/put it in a vice and levering it away as close to the shaft as possible.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Hello!

The seemingly annual update, not sure what it is about spring but appears to be the only time I ever do one!

Firstly thanks for all the advice with the the seatbelt adjuster knob, that's in and sorted  :))

In the last year not too much to report, wiring loom all now back in and have gradually been ticking off what works and what doesn't.  So far so good, only a couple of bits not quite there.

1) Rear fog lights - any advice of fault finding these?  Rear clusters seem to work fine otherwise, and switch is illuminating when turned on.  Note front lights aren't currently fitted, but can't see that being a problem?

2) Only one reversing light, driver side, works (which from memory is correct anyway).  Does anyone know the MOT rules on this please, online guidance (even on .Gov website) isn't clear to me.  Since both clusters have the space for a reversing lamp - do both need illuminating?  I just want to get it through an MOT, so if just the one is acceptable then that'll do for now

3) Interior light doesn't work - though suspect I've ruined the loom trying to pull it back through A-pillar.  Unless I've missed something.  But again not overly fussed by that as can knock up something temporary if needed in meantime

Onto bigger things, the car does now turn over...  Brand new thermostat housing (at the time when I swapped over) has cracked so need a new one of those, but otherwise everything else should be good to go...  Once I find some time and a willing volunteer free at the same time (never shall the twain meet currently...) I'll do the usual checks of sparks and fuel etc.

One thing I'm not 100% sure/confident on is the ignition coil wiring - does anyone have a diagram/pic of what it should look like please?  It's an '89 1.3

Hopefully the updates will become more frequent as more worthy updates develop!  And who knows, this could be the year

Cheers
Rob

Reply #7
Fog light runs through the headlight switch for power I believe but not having headlight fitted I wouldn't think would affect that.

They only have one reversing light as standard and MOT only requires one also.

Reply #8
Fog light runs through the headlight switch for power I believe but not having headlight fitted I wouldn't think would affect that.

They only have one reversing light as standard and MOT only requires one also.

Ideal, thank you.  After testing cluster itself, and the feed, turned out to be a dodgy connection between the two now fixed

And thanks for confirming my suspicions on reversing lights, that's another one ticked off!

Cheers
Rob

Reply #9
Hello 👋🏼

In a current quest to get the golf running again, I appear to have no spark or fuel. It does however turn over

Starting with spark, I'm confident the wiring has all been plugged in correctly, I've checked it back against wiring diagram and had a second pair of eyes to confirm also.  I've also checked all the continuity from TCI unit back to all terminals, and from block to battery negative also.

There is however a very real possibility that at some point over the past several years I've done this incorrectly, particularly when it comes to the ignition coil.  Having checked the primary and secondary winding resistances, they both seem to be out of range and therefore I'm thinking this may be the (or a) culprit.  It's a 1990 1.3.  I'm new to using multimeters, so have photos below with my work

I'd really appreciate anyone's help with this please, even if only to point out I've done something catastrophically wrong!!

Thanks in advance
Rob

Primary Winding resistance

Secondary Winding resistance

Winding resistance specs

Reply #10
That looks like 0.9 ohm and 3150 ohm to me.  Not sure if that would result in no spark though?

Reply #11
That looks like 0.9 ohm and 3150 ohm to me.  Not sure if that would result in no spark though?

Thanks for the response, my thinking also.  My current train of thought is that primary winding is just outside of spec so possible passable but secondary winding is less than half of that for lower threshold - perhaps in the past I've plugged it all together wrong and as a result damaged the coil resulting in a weakened/missing spark?

I'm sure a new ignition coil is no bad idea, but reluctant to spend money chasing faults when I've got a deadline in mind!

Cheers
Rob