Skip to main content
Topic: Chlo's Mk2 Golf Driver (Read 541 times) previous topic - next topic

Chlo's Mk2 Golf Driver

Hi All,

Just moving my thread from the old site over to the new one before it's lost forever!!

My Black Mk2 Golf Driver
Postby VwChlo_ » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:34 am

Hello everyone,

If you haven't read my introduction already, my names Chloe, I'm 21 and I live in Loughborough. :)

Yesterday was the day that I picked up my lovely little Driver from London.  I managed to find the car within 20 minutes of it being on eBay and secured the first viewing of the little beauty! Here are the pictures posted on the ad:

The car is currently on just over 70k genuine miles, 1 owner from new & is completely rust free! I got her for just £1500!

I've already ordered a bunch of parts and booked her in for a proper detail to clean her up again & get her gleaming. She's also booked in for a major service & belt change at some point next week as this has never been done.

All that's left is to book in is to get a couple of small dents pulled out & the car will be pristine.

That's all...for now!  It'd be lovely to get to know some of you on here and start tagging along to shows if you ever have a spare space on a stand.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:36 am

Updated:

Forgot to mention the optional extras that the car came with  she's got central locking, folding rear seats (I think this was an extra?), sunroof & winter pack.

Jigsaw parked up outside my work this morning:

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Just gave the car its first wash in about 20 years  so shiny under all that dirt!

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Lots of parts arrived this morning

I've only managed to change the side repeaters, air filter & wipers today. I'm currently at a mates unit, so when I'm home I'll pop the new plates on as I forgot the little sticky pads

Old & new:

Polished up a small spot on the car and I was amazed by how nice the paint is underneath the crap

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:42 pm

The car now looks completely different after spending a few hours on her today

Not really sure how I feel about the changes right now..

Before:

Managed to get the plates off without breaking them! I'm sure these are the plates the car was originally sold on:

After:

Before & after shots:

I've had a lot of people point this out to me..

I'm guessing there aren't many of these lil things left? Haha.

That's all for this weekend :)

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:40 pm

My coilovers arrived yesterday! :D just waiting for a couple of tools I'll need to put them on to be delivered & I can get them fitted this week.

I can't stop taking pictures

The Mk1 & 2:

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Belt & service completed yesterday and the car is polishing up well so far :)

Bye bye swirls

Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Before & afters:

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:37 am

The car is now idling fine and not cutting out after having it's jets cleaned & a new carb fuel filter fitted.

I don't really trust the car at the moment so I'm trying to drive it as much as possible to see if anything else breaks before GTI Inters  hopefully she'll finally be low by the end of this week!

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:08 am

New shiny door handle inserts :)

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Went to my first MFN meet tonight :)

Only broke down once..

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Pictures taken of my car @ MFN:

Absolutely dreading the drive on Sunday to GTI Inters

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:45 pm

So, yesterday @mikebott93 finally lowered the Golf!!

Just a few pictures:

My friends Lupo is beautiful

Phaaaat

All of my tyres are scrubbing horrendously  I think I'm going to raise her next week at some point!

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:50 pm

Oh, and some pictures from today at GTI Inters:

On her own  haha

Inters was awful, hardly any stands and nobody actually turned up to the show. Was supposed to do a giant GTI on the field that completely failed because they couldn't get enough cars & then the drone never actually turned up..

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:33 am

Got the car back this morning and she's running beautifully and idling nicely again! Yay

Nice & dirty after being sat all week..

She's currently got an engine crane in the back that I'm taking over to my shed today ready to take the Mk1 Golf apart..let the fun begin!

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:13 pm

My bumpers & glue still haven't arrived so I couldn't swap those over today or fix my headlining, however I did managed to get the items below swapped over..

Finally swapped my rear lights:

This is really sad but it was starting to irritate me

So glad I no longer have a chipped fog switch..

I did attempt to swap my indicator bulbs but didn't realise I had been sent the wrong bulbs until I got to it :(

Old bulb:

Bulbs I ordered:

Bulbs I received:

Meh, never mind! I'll crack on with the rest of it next weekend :) hopefully she'll get a good wash & wax today..she looks like a barn find all over again!!

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Forgot to update on here after last weekend..

Since having the carb flange replaced its been an absolute dream to drive over the past couple of weeks! No more idle problems or cutting out, so this must've been the problem..

Old flange:

New bulbs arrived & again, they've sent me the WRONG BULBS!  I received offset pins instead of the straight I asked for. I have ordered from a different place now for front & rear replacements so they should arrive next week, I'll just go Halfords next time

I also had a go at sorting my headlining out and I was pretty happy with the result:

Before & afters there :)

I did received my bumpers but unfortunately they were damaged when I got them :'( the rear was okaaay, but the front was cracked and everything..although I couldn't actually get under my car to swap them over anyways due to how low the car is  so it'll have to wait for now!

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Spent a good few hours on the car this weekend getting little bits done here and there.

Finally swapped all of my indicator bulbs over to some nice orange bulbs..all legal now

I also managed to fix up my broken washer jet on the drivers side, the little stalk thing that comes off the jet into the bay had snapped & that's why it had disconnected..

Before:

After:

I didn't notice at the time that there was already a t-piece holding it together as it had been covered in black gunk, so I purchased a "genuine VW T-piece" for £4.50!!!!!  mostly because I thought it was hilarious that you could even buy it and I don't really have anything else better to spend my pennies on.

After fixing that up I decided to put my horrible seat covers on to stop me flapping about the seats getting damaged and found some damaged already done:

I absolutely hate hate HATE the vile ill-fitting things, but hopefully one day they will save the seats getting a tear or two..

Damage already done to seats:

I also wanted to share with you all just how much I adore my ariel  I love it so much haha.

Annnnd that was all for Saturday :)

Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Time for today's work

Mostly before and after shots after giving her a good clean!

Engine bay:

I never noticed how fluorescent green that bottle is

Giant black smudge on the sunroof:

Now gone :)

Added some stickers I've collected from shows/purchases over the past 3 months of ownership:

I purchased some Poorboys Black Hole at the Mk1 AGM as I'd heard some great things about the glaze

Used this on the car after a quick snow foam & dry..

Before:

After:

Goodbye swirls

That's all for this weekend :)

Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:26 pm

That's my third front bumper purchased ..

Fingers crossed for this one!!

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Couple of badges I've won on eBay :)

Just need to replace my rear badge now..

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 pm

The Golf broke down again on Friday when I was on my way to a wake!!! I do not have a happy Golf at the moment

Here's a picture of me finding oil in my air filter on the side of a road:

Luckily I was in a quiet village and was able to pull over.

I haven't really heard the tapping/rattling since I posted the video above, so not sure if I should be really worried or not?? Seems to be the same problem as last time..cutting out without any revs on when I come to a stop. Just before it cut out I did go over a speed bump a little too fast, maybe that disturbed something?  I really don't know.

I've now also noticed oil in my air filter so a compression test is my first port of call to see if my piston rings are shot

My bumper finally turned up THREE WEEKS LATE and damaged, of course..

That's all for now and I suppose I'll be spending the next month trying to diagnose all of the problems and getting them fixed!

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Forgot to mention that some idiot stole my fuel cap at some point  I went to GTI fest this Sunday just gone and managed to pick these up in the jumble for £10:

I don't know what I was thinking, but I ended up buying the WRONG parcel shelf support & purchased the drivers side :( it was only £5 tho so still a bargain :)

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:58 pm

Not really much to update you all with..

Should be purchasing some new wheels next weekend, so I'll be selling the cookie cutters, raising the car & running the good 'ole steels for the winter . I've got both front & rear GTI bumpers to go on, need to repair my roof, collection of replacement badges to go on and my sound system to sort out  plenty of jobs left to do before the terrible weather hits us..Ahhh!

From when I got her in June to now:

Getting there  <3

Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:47 pm

Not much to update you all with..

I attempted to fix my headlining today and made it so much worse, so I think I'll leave that for now!

The car has started to cut out again once it gets warm and comes to a stop..I'm gonna have to start replacing everything else that could possible make it cut out as I couldn't even get it to the end of my road without it dying on me this morning :(

Only good thing to happen this month:

Finally managed to get my hands on a set of Exip Mega's  my dreams wheels that I've wanted for about 3 years now.
They won't be going on the car until next year tho, I can't afford to put tyres on them with Christmas coming up. I also want to replace my brakes whilst I'm at it so it'll all be done March/April time next year ready for show season :)

Should look a lot like this:

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Not really much to put on here other than pretty pictures of the car..

After it's first clean this year:

I finally put my wind deflectors on that I got for Christmas

72k on the clock now..

Currently trying to sell the cookie cutters so that I can afford to put the exips on at some point this year..no luck so far .

My last insurance payment is due end of this month and the quotes I'm getting for my next year are half the price of last years  this means I can afford to fix the roof & get her looking all pretty again very soon..I can't wait! <3

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

The cookies sold this weekend! She's now sat on steels and raised a bit..

Before & after:

I now have tyres on the exips  I took this just before they were put on:

I just need to find some adaptors and then they're ready to go on the car! I will be needing one new tyre very soon though..

I didn't realise how bad this one was until I raised the car up

I finally got a response from the roof company but I'll probably have to wait another 2-3 weeks for the next message  gonna get a quote from a company closer to me :)

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:01 am

It's been over a month since I last updated this and one whole year today since I bought the car, so I thought I'd best get an update posted!

May was (supposed to be) a really good month for the Mk2 and I've managed to tick a few things off the list and add a few.

I decided that I wanted smoked lights instead of the nasty clear ones I'd put on..

Smoked Hellas on the rear:

Smoked Hella side repeaters:

Smoked front indicators, lamps & the new GTI bumper on:

It's currently sat with no rear bumper due to not being able to find a crash bar that fits my new GTI bumper or a GTI bumper with a crash bar:

Some new badges for the front & rear:

My old front badge had gone green!

"Refurbed" my other rear badges:

Massive crack in the paint on the back there!

Had her MOT'd early and she passed:

Currently sat on 72k so I only managed a measly 2k miles in my first year of ownership:

Got my insurance down from £1600 to £533 for my next year which was nice.

Had the roof done 3 weeks ago, still waiting for my sun visors to be posted:

I did ask for the original material to be put back up but it was too thin and didn't go on very well...decided to go with the black diamond stitch instead and that looks okaaay.

New gear knob:

New mats:

Made my door handles look worse:

I think that's it for now...I'm going to make a post after this one of all the bad bits on the car that I want to get fixed, hopefully that'll motivate me to do something.

Some pretty pictures to finish:

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:14 am

UPDATED List of parts ordered/fitted:

Interior
Seat covers
Genuine VW fog light switch
Cup holder
Replacement passenger side plastic trim parcel shelf support (without carpet)
Genuine VW Mk2 Golf GTI golf ball gear knob
New door speakers

Exterior
Pressed plates
New front & rear wipers
2 lamp grille
New washer jet tube/line
New chrome door handle inserts
New orange indicator bulbs for front & rear
Red trim GTI front bumper
Red trim GTI rear bumper
Replacement front crash bar
Smoked Hella rear lights
Smoked Hella side repeaters
Smoked front indicators
Smoked headlight lamps
New chrome grille badge
New chrome boot badge

Engine
New oil cap
Pipercross panel filter
New HT leads
New dizzy cap
New coil

Suspension
TiefTech coilovers
New front & rear top mounts

Wheels
Porsche Cookie Cutters on Bridgestone Potenza SOLD 22/04/2017
Exip Megas on Bridgestone Potenza (adaptors to be purchased)

Cambelt & major service completed 24/06/2016
Paint correction & detail 25/06/2016
Coilovers fitted 09/07/2016
Carb flange replaced 12/08/2016
MOT completed 10/05/2017
Roof repaired 21/05/2017

Parts to order/to-do list
Adaptors for the Exips
Rear crash bar
Drivers side wing
Drivers side heated wing mirror glass
Drivers side heated washer jet