Skip to main content
Topic: Big end bolts. 16v.  (Read 563 times) previous topic - next topic

Big end bolts. 16v.

I am trying to find some replacement big end Connecting Rod bolts for my Mk 2 1987 16v Golf rebuild after £125k miles.
VW does not say they are single-shot, but opinions vary on whether I should replace them or not.
I think the correct  part number that I need is 048 105 425. I cannot find that in stock anywhere, but there are other similar-looking (I know!)  big end bolts available, including:
052 105 525 A, 056 105 525 B and 056 105 525 C - all of these are available.

Is it possible to use any other bolt as an alternative to mine like-for-like?
Can I have my connecting rods machined to take any of the other VW bolts?
Should I buy pattern parts? E.g. Febi Bilstein 02126
Or should I just bang the originals  back in and torque them up and see if they go cheesy - then decide!?? They tap out anyway if they break.

Views gratefully received.

Confused of Chichester
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along

Re: Big end bolts. 16v.

Reply #1
Hi Confused!

The general rule of thumb is if you put a stretch on a bolt after you have torqued it down, they should be one use as the extra 90 or 180 degrees stretches them.

I've had a big end bolt let go on me at 120, it wasn't fun and ended up costing nearly 2k.

If it were me rebuilding it (and I recently did this to the wifes VR), I'd stick a set of ARP bolts in, no worries then.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Re: Big end bolts. 16v.

Reply #2
Hmm. Bit of a set back. I asked the engineering shop if I should bring them in or have a go, and they said have a go.  The bolts are a very tight fit and I had to wind them in using a nut and increasing numbers of washers, with brass ones at the bottom end to stop them damaging the con-rod.  Looks like they've come out at a slight angle, as I cant get the cap on.  Also, by eye it looks like the flat shell case may be distorted near the bolt exit, so I think I may have wrecked the con rod. Ah well, back to the engineers shop Monday!

Ah well. Crank went into the main bearings a treat, at least. Spinsnicely after torquing them up - and i didn't forget to put in the piston oil sprays first!
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along