Skip to main content
Topic: Bottom rad pegs (Read 682 times) previous topic - next topic

Bottom rad pegs

Am i missing something, what does the two pegs in the bottom of the rad fit into, i can make seance of mine, one fits in to the support member but there is not a hole for the NS one? Phil

Re: Bottom rad pegs

Reply #1
Can't that should have read.

Reply #2
Oh, from memory the lugs on the bottom of the lug should line up with holes in the crossmember to locate the rad.
I have just purchased an aftermarket rad as I spotted mine is leaking so will be doing this job myself soon. Hopefully it makes sense when I do it. If I get an answer I'll post up.

What spec is your car? There are a number of different radiators for different engines.

Reply #3
These holes

Reply #4
Multiple holes as will have different size rads depending on engine

Reply #5
Multiple holes as will have different size rads depending on engine
Yup.
So I have the biggest rad (not meaning to brag) which fits in the outer holes of the cross member. When I was pratting around trying to use the existing rad but ensure the bottom hose missed the aircon compressor I tried all combos of the standard 8v rad in those holes. Only to be told by guru Rubjonny I needed to max out on the proper aircon rad which incidently has the bottom outlet angled so the replacement bottom hose missed the compressor. It takes a lot longer for the rad to get hot and the fan come on.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #6
1990 16V, the cross-member is original so that must be right and the read is now but identical in every way to the original so that also must be correct, i wonder if i have bolted the cross member in the wrong way?

Reply #7
sorry 'rad is new'
'

Reply #8
For information if it helps anyone i have resolved this, I was confused by the top mounts, I had assumed that they both had to pass through the two slots in the top slam panel therefore I had the rad to far to the driver side. The passenger side top mount is on an 'open' bracket and now I see the corresponding hole in the bottom support member match that.

Reply #9
Good news.
The driver's side top mount for mine is thro the far "left" slot in the slam panel.
Just noted someone was selling replacement stainless top mounts on Club GTI.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel