Skip to main content
Topic: I'm torquing about stainless bolts! (Read 409 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm torquing about stainless bolts!

Trusty Haynes manual says that rear engine mount bolts  on the driver side (7 of them - 4 to the crankcase and 3 to the top of the rubber) should be done up to 33ft pounds with oiled threads.
I did that okay at first, but then vanity took over and I pulled them out and replaced them with nicer shinier stainless bolts. On tightening these bolts felt far more ductile and I've stopped before I got to 33 ft/lb (I reckon i'm at around 25),. They feel like they are plateauing and just not feeling like they are getting tighter as quick as i'd like them to feel at that stage.  Should I stop where I am at about 25 ( I guess), or should I go on and see if they go buttery. Or should I go back to the old bolts?.  Views, please?!
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along

Re: I'm torquing about stainless bolts!

Reply #1
I would suggest checking the numbers cast on the head of the originals and replacing with the same. I guess they maybe high tensile steel bolts.
I made the mistake of thinking high tensile bolts were all the same when I renewed my rear hub bolts with some from a bolt supplier. The replacements I bought stretched before I reached the correct torque. Ended-up getting genuine replacements from the dealer.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: I'm torquing about stainless bolts!

Reply #2
Thanks. Wise advice, I think.
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along