Skip to main content
Topic: Big brakes and hubs?? (Read 554 times) previous topic - next topic

Big brakes and hubs??

I know there’s been loads of documentation here but just looking for some perspectives.

I’d like to do bigger brakes, currently on stock 8v brakes.

I had a full 16v set up previously but never got round to fitting on the old car and since have sold all the parts so I’m starting from scratch.

I don’t need silly size as It’s only a stock 8v, but you never know might go 2.0 one day.

And I know it starts with the hubs, now these seem to be silly money now. So I wondering on the best approach. Would going 5 stud make a difference? Could I use mk4 parts making it cheaper/easier to get hold off or would that still require 16v hub carriers?

And are new parts still available!?
The money some people are asking for used and poor condition I’d imagine if new were available wouldn’t be much more.

Also can anyone point me to one of the previous topics where all the SEAT and other VAG options were listed? Not sure if that’s been transferred from the old site.

Re: Big brakes and hubs??

Reply #2
Oh and think I’ve answered my own questions re: new

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164392972554

I have a bench press So bearings and hubs are no issues for me, make me wonder why people bother with old parts and powder coating. Must work out more expensive?

I suppose it’s the callipers and more importantly calliper carriers that then become the problem.

Reply #3
I nearly bought a pair of hubs/carriers/disks and calipers that were on ebay for £80 a couple of months ago. Happy I've got plenty to keep me occupied atm. Maybe something for next year  ;D
I've just found this post on "one of the other sites" in which Rubjonny posts a reply with a comprehensive list of donor cars:

256mm Donors

I guess you could get MK3 items and swap the 5 stud hub for a nice shiny new 4 stud hub but it's probably more hassle than its worth.

I'm having trouble getting MK2/3 bits from local scrappies since their stock seems to be from the year 2000 upwards. Most second hand stuff on Ebay goes for a premium unless you drop lucky.

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #4
The problem is, with 16v hubs, they can easily be used to upgrade a mk2 to 280mm brakes, so they tend to fetch a higher price.

For costs sake etc, have you considered just upgrading what you have?
A decent set of pads, good brake fluid and maybe a 22mm master cylinder should have your pedal feeling much better for less than £250
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
Part of the reason is vanity, the car has massive 17” wheels. The 239 discs look piddly.

Thanks for the links above, One of the options states SEAT Inca van, I then found a complete van for spares/repair for £150. Wish  I was in a position with a unit and a trailer. That would be a no brainier.