Skip to main content
Topic: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989) (Read 16768 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Gordon the Golf (8v GTi 1989)

Reply #300
Ahh! I did wonder!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #301
The starter has been sounding awful when cranking so I decided a make a short video and ask for opinions.  Fuel turned off, that sounds fine to me?  Not sure what changed but it upped it's game for the camera.

https://youtu.be/lv-fpnalEqE

Reply #302
Used a spray gun on a car body for the first time today.  Painted loads of components but this is my first time on the car.  Consistent with me regarding this car as maintained rather than restored, I use Hammerite products on the underside, in the engine bay and. as here, under the bumpers:

The small hole is something I did when the car was just months old.  Many cavities under the car were filling with water so I checked Haynes and found that VW had sealed over the drain holes.  I cleared all the drain holes but used a drill from the underside on this one.  I damaged the outer skin so put a hole through from the outside and put a grommet in.  That grommet is going back in, nice when you know the history.

Bump, previous post, does that MK2 starter sound right.  I've got used to stronger sounding starters.

Reply #303
Re the starter.
I replaced mine with a fully recondioned MK3 version which doesn't rely on the brass bush. Sounds so different. When I took the old one out you could freely wriggle the drive in its bearings. Nice upgrade and only £50. Fitted it just looks the same as the original.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #304
@AndyBa thanks for the reply.  I think the starter that self supports the pinion is what I’m familiar with. They sound much better.
However if the sound is correct and period I’ll stick with it. Does it sound right?

Reply #305
When you think you are almost finished but decide to look under XYZ:

Reply #306
Shame the tailgate let the side down.  Car is coming together nicely elsewhere:

Any idea why the latch bolts, all 6 of them, were painted pink at the factory? Mixed the correct shade and slapped it on factory style:

Reply #307
I asked the pink bolt question on Facebook, there is always a good response there.  I was expecting torque wrench spots, warranty work confirmation, QA checks etc.  I turns out that these pink bolts are quite r a r e, presumably because it wares off?  The debate turned in to one about whether these were painted or not.  One suggestion was that my car was a Hello Kitty edition  :)) .  No it's not, they were pink on my car and there is enough posted on Facebook to support that they should be.  The reason though is not conclusive, it is thought VW QA marked items pink when the had been safety checked.
When I finally get my car to a meet I suspect the pink bolts will be spotted and questioned:

Reply #308
It's going to be spring 2023 for the MOT.  Too much hidden surface rust on the tailgate.  Spraying creates lots of rework.  Probably have it finished in October but then I'll just put a cover over him.

Reply #309
Question. what would I use a borescope, plug on tap shower pipe and  Dyson for?

Reply #310
My guess is you dropped something down the tailgate?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #311
Yes. I thought the little plastic pin that secures the parcel shelf "hanger". Bet it was covered in melted wax goo too.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #312
Yes, expanding pegs for the for the parcel shelf hangers pushed inside the tailgate then stuck in wax.  No amount of shaking would shift them.
Located with scope, pipe positioned guided by scope, attach Dyson, flick Dyson on and watch peg disappear.  Repeat and collect two pegs from Dyson.

Now that they are out and looking at the design it may be possible to push the peg right to the end of the pin without it falling out.  Then remove the peg with the pin still attached.

Reply #313
Think thats the same with the door card fixings and the bonnet open stay fixing.

Reply #314
Yep, right little PITA, those things!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF