Skip to main content
Topic: Headlights stopped working (Read 735 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlights stopped working

Hi everyone, I need some help, my problem started last night when I got home, all the electrics were working as normal, I had headlights, wipers, heater, main beam, I switched the car off, went back to it 5 mins later and it has no headlights only side and flash, no heater, although it did come on briefly when I flashed the main beam, no wipers or washers.
With the ignition off and headlight switch on I have dash lights, switch the headlights on and ignition on and the main beam light lights up blue on the dash and the instrument cluster lights go out ???

I've checked all fuses, none blown, checked all the earth points, waiting on a new relay and time to fit a new ignition switch.

Anyone got any ideas, any help appreciated !

Re: Headlights stopped working

Reply #1
Yep, had this happen to me several years ago.
You need a new flasher stalk.

When you pull the stalk to flash, the stalk disconnects your dipped beams and connects your main beams.
When they break, they don't make the dipped beam circuit again.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Would that take out the heater blower, wipers, washers and dash lights too ?

Reply #3
Turns out it was the ignition switch and headlight switch, basically there's a short in the headlight switch which melted the X terminal on the ignition switch, both on order so hopefully sorted.

Reply #4
Car is now fixed, headlight switch was fine, the ignition switch was knackered and melted on the X terminal.