Skip to main content
Topic: Zender Z20... (Read 1884 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Zender Z20...

Reply #15
I've been spending the last few days sorting out the garage as it was a cluttered, filthy mess... just not so much now.

The guy painting the bonnet / door of the MK2 is holding things up and it's looking like it could be weeks or more until I get them back.

I don't want to start on the engine until the rest is as complete as possible, which has focused me on the MK1 again.

When Elon cracks time travel, I'm getting a cheap flight back to the me of 10 odd years ago and applying a hefty kick to the nads... what I've done to this poor car is criminal.

This is the first proper look I've had around the underpinnings and it's in even better shape than the MK2 was. I should have been enjoying and driving this car for over a decade by now, what a complete muppet!

Reply #16
Found this (should really say these, as there's four of them) while clearing out... more long forgotten purchases.

They were the tips from the exhaust from a Maserati, an eBay.de buy from back when I used to have the odd Bacardi and surf... tea total now!

They're actually quite a sensible diameter, maybe 2cm more than the standard Bosal. They've an inner perforated sleeve which allows the Bosal to slide snuggly in. Looks a bit extended in the image, partly because there's no bumper, but even so I'll cut a little off and should be able to weld it myself when we invest in one!

Think my camera might've got it's mojo back.

Reply #17
I've been spending the last few days sorting out the garage as it was a cluttered, filthy mess... just not so much now.

Now you 're just making a few of us envious, especially with winter about to hit us  :D
Looks like you have room for a sofa telly and drinks fridge in there too!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #18
Unfortunately not, the draughts would cut you in half and apart from making it sooooo cold it also obligingly ensures everything is perpetually covered in a layer of dust.

One sop to comfort is my 'entertainments centre', though these days it's more likely to be cordial in the bottles, haven't had a Bacardi for years.

The stereo still works, though the CD's for it have long since gone, now use the sons old iPod (think it's 2nd Gen. so probably worth something on eBay by now) below it to stream Spotify... very tech. savvy for an old git don't you know!

Reply #19
More or less changed out everything suspension / brake related on the MK2 because it was either that they were simply past their best or so badly corroded as to make it cheaper and easier than trying to refurbish.

MK1 less so, partly because despite being decades older most bits were in far better condition, but also because some of them just aren't as readily available to replace (at a sensible price, at any rate).

Been honing the cleaning process and now dunk things that need it into a bath of very strong detergent (traffic film remover) so as to get the worst of the grease and grime off. Not doing it makes the wire wheeling 10 times worse a job, plus clogs up the bristles.

Not quite before and after below, these pics. begin post a detergent bath.

Said elsewhere that the grey passivate finish the phosphoric acid leaves after the rust is removed is corrosion inhibiting and can be painted onto.

Not sure what made me do it but gave the bearing carrier a lick of 'Kurust' as well and the reaction produced this satin black effect.

No way of knowing if it'll last so probably give them a coat of paint just to be sure.

The calipers I gave a light coat of primer / satin silver as I was after the 'natural' metal look for those.