Skip to main content
Topic: Engine cutting out  (Read 585 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine cutting out

Hey guys

I’ve got a Mk2 8v with a Weber carb on it. Seems to run good for most of the time but it’s been getting itself in these weird cut outs ruts. No amount of choke or accelerator seems to fix it or lift it out of wanting to cut out. I basically just have to stop. Let it die and then restart as if nothing happened?

Can’t put a finger on it

Re: Engine cutting out

Reply #1
Is the carb freezing up? my old Fiesta and Mk2 did this with the carbs the main inlet tract gets so cold that the dense air freezes and blocks up the carb, turn off and give it a minute or so and its fine.

Reply #2
I had a similar issue with a Driver, put a weber with a pancake filter on, that done away with the warm air feed, kept freezing up the carb. Had to pull over, count to 60 and start again.

I once went flat out down the motor way and it cut out when I got off, the four branch was glowing and the carb had ice build up!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
It might have been that! I’ve reconnected the hot air feed now as PO had not plugged it into the vac lines. The throttle cable was also bent meaning the throttle plate struggled to stay properly closed and I think it caused some running issues. New cable now and it hasn’t happened since