Skip to main content
Topic: 2004 Diamond black pearl R32 - Another Golf?! (Read 643 times) previous topic - next topic

2004 Diamond black pearl R32 - Another Golf?!

A couple of months ago I decided to sell up my fancy (to me) 18 plate Hyundai I30N as it was simply too expensive for something I seldom use. After selling up, I considered a few cars but eventually got the idea of buying an R32 as they seemed to be a good car and something that has stopped depreciating in value.

I was looking at Mk5s to begin with but ultimately thought that they were a bit boring for my tastes, so set my sights on finding a mk4. I thought I had found "the one" when I'd found a super modified example which had been well looked after, that one however slipped through the net but I then found the one I now own for sale shortly afterwards.

It's an 04 model in DBP (LC9Z) with a few tasteful modifications and a great history/service record. It had been won in a raffle provided by a popular company and the winner unfortunately (for him) could not afford to insure the car, so had put it up for sale.

In terms of mods, it has the following:

Bilstein B14 coils
KW control arms
Neuspeed front and rear ARBs
Forge short shifter kit
Lupo door mirrors on Mk4 bases
Alcantara headlining and flocked pillars
Repainted Aristo alloys with spacers fitted all round
Milltek non resonated catback (sounds sexual)
Porsche 996TT (18z) 6 pot front calipers
And a remap which needs removing/replacing IMO (super sharp throttle response)  :-\

Overall, it's a very tidy example but of course needs a bit of work. I noticed for example post test drive and on the way home that the brakes juddered under braking at motorway speeds.. I later found that a front disc is warped and needs replacing! Anyone who knows how expensive Mk4 R32 brakes are will feel my pain I'm sure.

I had the chains checked using VCDS and they're well within tolerances which is good. I shouldn't have to worry about replacing the chains, tensioners, guides etc. for a little while yet.

I've since done a few little jobs to the car like treating all the leather, replacing a few broken bits inside and adding a battery tie down which had gone missing at some point.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the car.. If anyone is interested I'll continue to update here as I do bits to it.

Re: 2004 Diamond black pearl R32 - Another Golf?!

Reply #1
That looks lovely!
Always had a soft spot for the mk4 32.
Friend of mine bought one new, took it to the Nurburgring every year for about 8 years and the car simply didn't care!

Know what you mean about the brake discs, they're eye wateringly expensive, though places like M-Tec are doing them too now, so you may be able to find them somewhere. Failing that, if there is enough meat on the disc and they're oe, you can probably get them skimmed.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
That looks lovely!
Always had a soft spot for the mk4 32.
Friend of mine bought one new, took it to the Nurburgring every year for about 8 years and the car simply didn't care!

Know what you mean about the brake discs, they're eye wateringly expensive, though places like M-Tec are doing them too now, so you may be able to find them somewhere. Failing that, if there is enough meat on the disc and they're oe, you can probably get them skimmed.

Thanks Monkey!

I believe it's got MTEC J hooks on it now and I'm thinking of going OEM 2 piece (ATE or Zimmerman).

Also looking into it, I need to get some 17z pads for the 18z calipers as they're a better size for the OE 334mm discs.. any experience yourself with that sort of thing bud?

Reply #3
Afraid not. I only ever played with the standard ones.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Looks lovely that!