Skip to main content
Topic: Oil... (Read 443 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil...

Euro Car Parts are running one of their perpetual discount codes at the moment.

Anyhow, suits me as I was getting a few bits in early in anticipation of servicing the 205 over the coming year and one of them was oil.

When I was getting out the previous can to double check what I wanted, I found another part full container of good brand / quality 5w30 synthetic that I bought a very, very long time ago for a car that's been gone for maybe 15 years now.

As luck would have it, it's the same stuff my current daily uses and while there's not enough for a full change there's plenty enough to use as a top up if required.

I realise oil's been in the ground for millenia and already a bit beardy, but does the 'processed' stuff with it's various additives have a shelf life after which for example it starts to degrade / become less effective?

If not, seems a shame to waste it but neither am I that tight that I'd remotely risk anything to save a few quid.

Re: Oil...

Reply #1
if its been opened for ages then i can loose its properties, id be happy to use something i purchase over 2 yrs, but would only use older stuff for flushing.... or mixing in chainsaw

Reply #2
Definitely been opened for a while!

A shame, but good thinking using it elsewhere... will be perfect for the lawnmower.

Reply #3
The 'new' oil turned up today and is marked 'expires 2025'... usually only got oil in the amounts I needed, as and when I needed it so storage was never on my mind - you live and learn!

Be something to bear in mind if your getting oil from the likes of eBay, in case they're not up front about it and off loading stuff that's getting on a bit as new.