Skip to main content
Topic: VAT... (Read 492 times) previous topic - next topic

VAT...

Word to the wise... had a few items on my eBay watch list from sellers on the German, French and Italian sites.

With effect from today all those same listings have had a 20% VAT surcharge added automatically (shown as a separate cost).

Haven't tried tio buy anything yet so not sure if it's being added to the item only or will be slapped onto the overall total, to include postage.

Re: VAT...

Reply #1
Just bought something small - can confirm VAT's being applied to both the final item price and also the postage.

That was buying it via the .co.uk site... can't imagine eBay haven't already thought of it and covered all the bases so as to prevent you circumventing the additional cost by signing in and buying it for example on the .de site. Might be worth trying incase they haven't realised yet.

You'd be paying in Euro's however, and if it's by Paypal you'd then have to factor in the poor exchange rate when converting back to £GBP.

Know nothing about VAT but my knee jerk reaction would be - should it also be on the postage cost?

Reply #2
Yes a Brexit blow to us buying car parts from the EU - pre brexit they were zero rated intra-community suppliers but now post brexit all sales are subject to UK or EU import VAT depending on which way the goods are flowing.

Postage VAT treatment generally follows the VAT rule of the item supplied (unless a 3rd party postage service is being operated - unlikely for ebay suppliers) i.e. buy an educational book (zero rated) then the postage should be zero rated.

Reply #3
Obviously don't like paying more for something than I have to, but the stuff I'm interested in is the bits'n'pieces you just can't get elsewhere.

At least if you really want it, it could still be obtainable (granted at a cost) but worryingly that's not the issue, it's the willingness to send that's changed.

Previously it was seldom a problem, now it's the exception.

Early days, hopefully things'll improve.