Skip to main content
Topic: Under seal alternative - rust protection (Read 1415 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Under seal alternative - rust protection

Reply #1
Is it claiming (or is it better at ) anything that the others aren't?

Protection / prevention can only be a good thing... but unless there's something that's outstanding with this one, it's hard to single it out over other reputable brands.

Ideally would be useful to hear from someone on the forum who's actually used it and you can believe, failing that would they put you in touch with past customers for testimonials (not just their website quotes).

Has it been around long enough to show it does what it claims, maybe a different tried and tested brand would give a better guarantee if this one's new to the market?

Reply #2
I gather it's a spray on 'oil' or wax, which goes on as a liquid and drys and therefore forms a protective (clear) barrier. It may not be as permanent as an underseal but I've found underseal sticks to itself rather than what it's applied to, it eventually goes brittle and cracks allowing water behind and get stuck between the two surfaces.

I've also had MOT advisories, particularly on my old Beetle, when underseal has been mentioned as a negative. I.e. car is heavily undersealed preventing inspection and potentially suggesting issues could be hidden/covered up but said treatment.

Now the last MOT my Mk5 had 'surface rust on rear subframe' as an advisory. So whilst a layer of oily protection on the underbody of the mk2 would be good, I could see this also being useful on other vehicles as a quick and easy spray job without just caking everything in thick tar like underseal.

I'm talking prevention rather than restoration, until I get a car on a spit, take it to bare metal and treat, paint and protect appropriately, on the face of it this seems like a decent enough idea. And £70 won't break the bank. I can see no negative effect, so if there's little positive effect the only issue will be a waste of money.

Reply #4
Sounds like it's got a few benefits, cost being one of them and like you say it's not going to do any harm... they might send you out a sample before commiting if asked nicely?

Reply #5
I'm keeping my eye on under body protection too.
While my one is now fully restored, I'm on the look out for a standard one to save/restore, so this will be very handy.

Quite interesting results on that Landy forum.
I must agree, I too prefer Sausages and Beer to Lamb...
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Wonder does it have an odour, you'll be the pied piper of Bristol... every sheep dog for 50 miles around'll be trailing after you when it's warm.

Reply #7
Interesting. Ive been using Bilt Hambler wax which gets good reviews in tests done by the likes of Practical Classics however it doesn't resist being jet washed like this apparently does.
Unfortunately I have areas where the underseal has split and rust is appearing. Rustbuster FE-123 is a good rust converter and this lanolin product looks like a more durable finish so I may try some after doing a bit more reading.
There are some interesting products on both the Bilt Hambler and Rustbuster websites.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel