Skip to main content
Topic: My Atlas Grey mk2 GTI 8v (Read 1098 times) previous topic - next topic

My Atlas Grey mk2 GTI 8v

Hi team,

Just joined so I thought I'd start my build thread.

So a little about the car

Bought it as it stands right now
its got more miles than the Apollo 13 space shuttle but I don't care as its mine.
the bloke who I bought it off lost all the paperwork

It used to be a purple colour back in the day (I'd love to find previous owner when it was)

So the gentleman I bought it off wanted to return it to stock but then lost interest but he resprayed it new front panel, new rear panel and then I bought it.

Spec
Coilovers 2 months old (brand unknown)
4 branch manifold
Wolfrace Alloys
Standard GTI brakes
GTI Engineering steering wheel
Had new Engine in 2001 from a scrap of paper I found under back seats.

Pics to follow

Re: My Atlas Grey mk2 GTI 8v

Reply #1

Reply #3
So after my Epic Journey home from picking her up
She drove perfect responded when it needed to aswell
BUT.....
Non existing heating, I had to keep stopping every s often at a service station to warm myself up inside lol.

So on further investigation I discovered the dreaded heater flap fault and the fact the the cables were tie wrapped on and doing the square route of fook all.

So split the box and got creative with colours lol

Reply #4
had a look over at car today as it wasnt raining i really need to sort wiring out before I get heater box in

Reply #5
Suggest you cover the sticky foam pads on the flaps with sticky aluminium (insulation tape) with a good overlap. It gets hot in the heater box and they are likely to come unstuck.
When I took my heater box which I repaired with sticky pads because I didn't overlap the tape much the foam pad was peeling back.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #7
Suggest you cover the sticky foam pads on the flaps with sticky aluminium (insulation tape) with a good overlap. It gets hot in the heater box and they are likely to come unstuck.
When I took my heater box which I repaired with sticky pads because I didn't overlap the tape much the foam pad was peeling back.

Brilliant I didn’t think of that
My mates doing his aswell and he said is it worth bypassing the foam and go straight in with the foil?

Reply #8
F Plate Atlas Gti  just like mine  :D

Reply #9

Brilliant I didn’t think of that
My mates doing his aswell and he said is it worth bypassing the foam and go straight in with the foil?
I found having both gives the spongey feel and creates a good seal/too good as divertor is hard to move at times.. but after 3 years mines holding up well heat in face is too much..also add the foam to the vent flaps.. on the dash

Reply #12
Nice 16v aswell I’d love to 16v mine

Reply #13
Re the foam. If you just cover with foil the flaps might rattle. For my aircon heater box I just covered round the edges with a 20mm strip to stop the rattling (think a bit like putting a rubber door edge guard on) then wrapped the hole flap with the ali tape.  I was probably being a bit anal 'cos if you trial fit the flaps air can get underneath the 5mm gap!
As noted above a trial fit is a good idea to make sure the fully open/close freely. I did the small plastic screen vent too and that needed trimming so it still operated freely.
Note you are using tie-wraps instead of those dodgy clips.....did they go "ping"!!....and more importantly Do the flaps still work?
I might have some spares hiding in my garage.

Edit...whilst you have the dash out give it a good shake to get rid of the sticky remnants of foam that WILL be in the "cardboard' venting. Re the vent flaps. I've just dismantled them, removed the disintegrating foam and re-assembled. I can fix them at a later date when I have 'stretchy' foam. Meanwhile I won't get any more bits flying out of the vents.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel