Skip to main content
Topic: 1989 LHD Special GTI 8v (Read 1712 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1989 LHD Special GTI 8v

Reply #15
Re braking performance. I recall multiple articles about RHD MK1 Golf brake performance being poor. That was because the brake pedal had a linkage across the bulkhead since the servo remained on the left hand side as per the LHD models.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #16
Fitted some LED indicator bulbs as I wait for other parts to turn up.

I've left the original bulbs in sides and front so I'm not suffering hyperflash with them.

I figured if (read when) I break down I'd much rather be seen clearly from the rear.

Very nice and bright and a big improvement on the standard halogen bulbs fitted before.

Video shows new bulb in left and old in right. Apologies for the garage mess....I blame Golfy for that.

LED Indicators video

Reply #17
They look nice those bulbs and nice idea to be seen. I wonder if there are any available for the brake lights. Where did you get them from?

Reply #18
Thanks PFN!

I asked my wife for them for Christmas (only guarantee way of getting car parts I need!) but they’re from eBay. Don’t think they were this much but they are decent ones and are meant to avoid hyper flash but I’ve not tried that yet and seen that stated before!

They do a stop/tail. They were also on my list but I only got the one set sadly in my stocking!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392519456576

Reply #19
In other news the replacement primary pump arrived and after an hour or so swearing it’s in!

And.....

Drumroll......

He starts again!!! Yay!! Sounds a bit rough and clearly exhaust needs attention but so so pleased he starts and runs again. A surprise a new pump failed so quickly (18 months) with no use, but I think as suggested that was the exactly the issue, lack of use!!

So please and everyone in the house is so grateful for the stink of petrol now running through the whole of downstairs.... 

:)

Reply #20
Have added a different head unit this week - I've gone for a Skoda Symphony CD/MP3 headunit. It blends in well with the dash (same green illumination) and looks quite standard. Nice simple layout and buttons and no flashy features. Does have a very subtle red security LED which is a nice touch.

I've added the pre-out lead to give me the possibility of adding an amp. I've also added a DIN aerial adapter too so I can reuse my existing aerial connection.

I'm intending too to add a Bluetooth streaming option. I'll need one that emulates a CD changer so the cheap mini-din don't do this (I've tried!) so that'll be next on the list. Then I should have a modern but not flashy standard looking headunit that I can stream to with all the cabling hidden under the unit..... That's the plan anyway!

Reply #21
Not quite finished fitting it yet - need to pull it out again to fit the pre-out cable which arrived. I like it a lot better than the Pioneer that I had - it was just too bright and looked too modern. This I appreciate isn't period or strictly VW either - but it's closer than my Pioneer was and if I can add the subtle Bluetooth stream...it'll be better than what I had! Apologies for the photo quality but you get the idea...

Reply #22
That looks pretty good!

I was thinking about a Skoda head unit for the colour too
I'm sure there is a Bluetooth/aux in adaptor for it, I used to run a mk4 head unit in an old mk2 (I'd swapped the illumination to red) and had bluetooth on that. Can't quite remember how though.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #23
There is, I did buy the cheap one and although I can connect to it there’s no way of telling the head unit to switch to that input.

Looks to be about £30 for the CD emulator version so a bit steep but I’ll probably still go for it.

I did consider a mk4 head unit too, but when I took it apart to change the illumination it’s got about a million SMD LEDs and didn’t fancy changing every single one! At least this one offers CD rather than the tape deck on the mk4.

Reply #24
That was the exact reason I changed all of my switch LEDs to red, was much less hassle!! :D
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v