Skip to main content
Topic: 1989 LHD Special GTI 8v (Read 1714 times) previous topic - next topic

1989 LHD Special GTI 8v

Hello everyone!

On Monkey's recommendation, I thought I'd post some images of my project so far.

Car was bought blind via eBay in about 2014/2015. I had always wanted a LHD car, to me they seem more "natural" - Just seems in my odd head to make more sense driving on that side and with the layout in that manner. I've had quite a few MK2 Golf's over the years - This would be my fifth I think.

I had the car delivered but due to an unexpected medical issue - I was in hospital for a few days before and after the delivery so it was a real shock to meet the car when I eventually got home.

He's a GTI Special but is UK registered (and assigned an F plate) Specials do seem  "uncommon"  and had some nice features from new. I'm not a Special expert, but it's a similar spec to One in a Million.

Tinted glass
Black headlining
Central locking
Power steering
BBS RA's
Rainbow interior
Diming headlining light (also colour coded)

Looks quite presentable in the eBay auction photos - But that hid a lot of sins. All the standard places (arches, battery tray, airbox tray, wings etc...) but also the back panel. This had been slapped on with a good 6mm of filler and repainted. There was no saving that, or the boot. Both utterly rotten.

I'll add some pictures from my phone/PC etc as I can.

Re: 1989 LHD Special GTI 8v

Reply #1

The eBay auction when I bought him. Sadly stripped of many of the valuable parts (Rainbow interior, BBS RA's etc..)

Reply #2
Nice and good buy! I have a helios blue 1988 model like yours but it's not one of the special editions sadly. Mine needs exactly the same panels as yours!

I do get what you're saying about LHD. Whenever I hire a LHD I always think it feels just right at the controls.

Reply #3
I used to have a job at Avonmouth docs driving all the jap import cars off the cargo ships. Once the ships were empty we had to reload them with all the export vehicles. Jag, Range and Land Rovers were always the best fun, you had to have been there a little while before they let you in those... apart from that there were the UK built Hondas and row upon row of bland Astras to put back on the empty ships. The docks were so big there's a proper road system with roundabouts and everything. Obviously all the imports were RHD and the exports were LHD. After a shift driving LHD felt so natural - although I never had to deal with car park ticket machines or drive throughs.

My 88 helios was unfortunately beyond saving, good luck with this one.

Reply #4
Thanks guys - That's an old photo now. Back panel replaced, rear arches done, new wings, interior all in, correct wheels.... Actually - easier with a photo!

Reply #5

still LOADS of work to do - and presently he won't start and I can't figure it out :(

Arch trims to go back on, door trim too but in a much better state that a few years back!

Reply #6
Oh wow nice progress! Re non start have you got fuel coming through? I've had the underbody fuel pump seize from lack of use. Other wise check spark/distributor for corrosion. 

Reply #7
Problem I have when I drive an LHD is I keep thumping the door with my left hand trying to change gear for the first few drives. In recent years I've not had that problem because we've taken our tourer caravan to France behind our Octy Scout.
That's a nice Golf you have even if the steering wheel is in the wrong place...However I bet its easier to fit MK3 aircon into it 'cos the bulkhead will be the right shape unlike RHD models!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
Oh wow nice progress! Re non start have you got fuel coming through? I've had the underbody fuel pump seize from lack of use. Other wise check spark/distributor for corrosion. 

Thanks for that - paintwork is not great and there's still lots to do and things I'm not happy with, but I don't want him to be a garage queen, I'd rather a bit rough but smart enough to use on a daily basis....that's the plan anyway!

It could be exactly that to be honest - lack of use. I re-built the bottom pump last year or so (possibly 18 months) but I've only started him once every month or so in that time, he's not driven anywhere. The same for the tank pump.

I can hear the tank pump prime, but if I pull the plug on the top tank, I don't hear the bottom one prime - can't really hear it at all? I've removed the plug to the bottom tank and with a multimeter it's getting the right voltages and the right times... but he still won;t start.

I've replaced the sparks, the ign amp (I had new sparks anyway and a spare ign amp) and I do get spark, so I "think" that rules out ECU and relays.

I've bought a cheap new replacement bottom pump though to put in the housing when it arrives later in the week.

Reply #9
Problem I have when I drive an LHD is I keep thumping the door with my left hand trying to change gear for the first few drives. In recent years I've not had that problem because we've taken our tourer caravan to France behind our Octy Scout.
That's a nice Golf you have even if the steering wheel is in the wrong place...However I bet its easier to fit MK3 aircon into it 'cos the bulkhead will be the right shape unlike RHD models!

Never thought of that to be honest. I've heard that braking is better/more direct but not sure if that's a myth! Aircon would be lovely....that and electric windows rather than keep fit ones. Especially in the car parks when you've got to do that graceful lean across the passenger seat to grab a ticket/pay in a machine! :)

Reply #10

Thanks for that - paintwork is not great and there's still lots to do and things I'm not happy with, but I don't want him to be a garage queen, I'd rather a bit rough but smart enough to use on a daily basis....that's the plan anyway!

It could be exactly that to be honest - lack of use. I re-built the bottom pump last year or so (possibly 18 months) but I've only started him once every month or so in that time, he's not driven anywhere. The same for the tank pump.

I can hear the tank pump prime, but if I pull the plug on the top tank, I don't hear the bottom one prime - can't really hear it at all? I've removed the plug to the bottom tank and with a multimeter it's getting the right voltages and the right times... but he still won;t start.

I've replaced the sparks, the ign amp (I had new sparks anyway and a spare ign amp) and I do get spark, so I "think" that rules out ECU and relays.

I've bought a cheap new replacement bottom pump though to put in the housing when it arrives later in the week.

That's the best approach re the paint. I had a car repainted - windows out and full works - that has some minor imperfections on the paint now it is done and I wish i just did the bits that needed doing on reflection. On the flip side if it came out perfect I'd not want to use it so getting it good enough to be smart but useable is the best approach on both cost and sanity!

When I was having problems with the underbody pump (for me it was on the corrado 16v) I was getting noises from both the tank and underbody pump. It wasn't until I took the underbody one off that I found it the noise was because it was seized. I eventually had a 12v on both connectors: there were other issues with that car initally stopping it starting - someone and cut the fuel pump wire from the fuse box and jammed it in the relay and it had been dislodged, causing the car to sit for 2 years before I got my hands on it but assume that won't be an issue on yours!

Reply #11
Have done more testing this afternoon and if I plug in my spare pump motor to the bottom pump it not only runs on prime but then runs on after as well and for half a second longer after ignition is off.

This sounds and looks to be the way it should work and the current pump motor is not acting in the same way.

So fingers crossed it might be the main pump motor. Hopefully arrives this week and I can fit it and test further.

Anyone know if I’ll loose a lot of fuel when I swap them over?

Cheers all!

Reply #12
There will be some fuel in the casing, maybe 4-5 mugs worth? It won't flow continually though. I can't remember myself if any will fall out on a pump change alone (probably is the answer). I took the whole unit off the car and drained it when i was investigating.

Reply #13
There will be some fuel in the casing, maybe 4-5 mugs worth? It won't flow continually though. I can't remember myself if any will fall out on a pump change alone (probably is the answer). I took the whole unit off the car and drained it when i was investigating.

Perfect, thanks for that. That was my biggest concern that it’d run freely. I’m not sure if I’ll need to remove it from the bottom of the car yet, I’m hopeful not as it was a swine to get all mounted and configured and not leaking!

Thanks again

Reply #14
Second that on getting it mounted again. I'll share my mistake so you don't do the same  - for some reason I had thought I needed to bend the metal brackets to 90 degrees to allow the assembly to slide on the threaded bits welded to the chassis. I then thought i needed to push the rubber grommets on and somehow bend the brackets back.

I spoke to Vince at stealth about some other issue and dropped it into conversation and I had realised my mistake.... you simply leave the metal bracket with their rubber grommets and locate the assembly on the 4 welded threaded bits. Once you see enough to screw the nuts on the whole assembly will just screw up to the floorpan.

For me I had to drop the whole lot out as the bracket holding the fuel filter on that i wanted to change wasn't accessible in situ. I also renewed the rigid fuel pipes going from accumulator to pump with standard rubber fuel pipe.