Skip to main content
Topic: Red Rescued (Read 10822 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Red Rescue

Reply #75
What does your blasting machine look like? I ask because mine  is like a chunky spray gun that spreads grit everywhere. I only use it as a last option.

Reply #76
Re blasting.
I took some Beetle stub axles in for blasting then had to use a tap to clean the threads.
They must have shot blasted them and the thread needed cleaning out. Sand is less distructive/abrasive tho.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #77
Preparation is important before you take a component for blasting  i masked machined surfaces, taped male threads and put old bolts in female threads. I put the old bush back in my rear axle so that the hole wasn’t blasted and painted.
Edit, like this:

Reply #78
I bought one of these second hand:
https://www.uktoolbox.com/products/sealey-tools-shot-blasting-cabinet-double-access-695-x-580-x-625mm.html?F1=0&ID=510898&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_media=Product+Search&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlOmLBhCHARIsAGiJg7lBMXY3tWmBEzQziS9fUuVWdpgevUOCHpD9aKPHNePGcpLCAlIq15gaAu8vEALw_wcB
It works well, though it will demolish your compressed air supply!
It's perfect for most small things, bigger things like hubs take an absolute age to do, but that's more to do with the media and the small nozzle.
In this photo, the middle one is blasted without any other treatment, it was just as bad, if not worse than the rusty one.
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #79
A cabinet like that would contain the mess.  Strictly for small bits though.

Reply #80
That's a good call on the rear beam.
Mine will be going in next month, so I'll have to do the same thing
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #81
I cleaned up the bush location and put the old bush back in so no grit nor paint got in there.

Reply #82
Great work, really impressive.

Headlining is giving me food for thought. Which colour did you go for - is that black or grey? Either way, looks great!

Reply #83
Thanks, I went for black in the end, little bit darker than the standard material, but still works very well with the black A/B/C pillars.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #84
Thanks! Agree it looks really good. Was it a two person job to fit it?

Reply #85
Very much so!

I got it so far in, but then when I was trying to get the clips in, I couldn't hold it up and get enough clips in to hold the weight while I got more. Fortunately a couple of mates were nearby to help while I secured it.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #86
If you're on your own, this is what I did for the 205, though it has hinged rear windows that come out so you may have to think of a workaround if doing it on a 3 door MK2.

205 has slighly different attachment points, but the principle's the same.

Do it in stages, lifting then tieing the cord loops so as to take up the slack.

Reply #87
Very much so!

I got it so far in, but then when I was trying to get the clips in, I couldn't hold it up and get enough clips in to hold the weight while I got more. Fortunately a couple of mates were nearby to help while I secured it.

I've done headlining in and out a few times on various cars now, with seats in and headrests all the way up you get a good resting spot then can lift it into place. I imagine it's harder in an empty car.

I have done them on my own, but have had help also. With 2 people it can be easier, but also very streesful if the other person isn't on your wavewlength and doesn't understand the fragile nature of the product.

Reply #88
Thanks for the info guys, appreciated. Monkey, apologies for the digression, seeing how good yours looks has given me some impetus! (That and seeing my headliner hanging down in the rear view mirror on every trip)

Reply #89
Good shout with the string, didn't think about that, just chucked it in, climbed in behind and got stuck!

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v