Skip to main content
Topic: Window rubbers, scrapers + other bits (Read 1352 times) previous topic - next topic

Window rubbers, scrapers + other bits

Hello,

Recently bought a silver, 1986 1.3 CL 5dr that has been standing for a good while and needs new window rubbers, especially on the back windows. Also needs the J shaped metal strips that run along between door and window.  Would also consider complete doors, especially if they were silver!

Cheers,

Danny

Re: Window rubbers, scrapers + other bits

Reply #1
new seals see mark @ https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/seals-686-c.asp

2nd user stuff try brendon at dubstock @ https://www.dubstockltd.co.uk/ , and matthew palmer @ https://mk2sparesuk.business.site/
i've fitted new seals front, sunroof and rear screens, from items from mark, and 2nd user from matthew.

Reply #2
I broke a 5 door some years ago and put most of it in boxes in garage. Is it just the rear window seals your after?

Reply #3
@sly_gti cheers for your message. I need the rear doors more but if you had a full set of seals I'd be interested in taking the lot. Also need the seals that go in the window channels.

I need a few other little interior bits and pieces as well, and front and rear small bumpers with chrome strips should you any lying around!

Reply #4
new seals see mark @ https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/seals-686-c.asp

2nd user stuff try brendon at dubstock @ https://www.dubstockltd.co.uk/ , and matthew palmer @ https://mk2sparesuk.business.site/
i've fitted new seals front, sunroof and rear screens, from items from mark, and 2nd user from matthew.

Cheers I will check these out!

Danny

Reply #5
I've just ordered myself to a pair for the rear on my moredoor. Ive bought 2x fronts so I can cut them down. The rubber round the rear quarterlight seems to shrink on the base corner leaving an annoying gap. Hence Ive used cut-down secondhand front rubber seals before. However the old seals are leaving a sizeable gap between the glass letting too much water in the door.
Hopefully new ones will sort it!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #6
I've just ordered myself to a pair for the rear on my moredoor. Ive bought 2x fronts so I can cut them down. The rubber round the rear quarterlight seems to shrink on the base corner leaving an annoying gap. Hence Ive used cut-down secondhand front rubber seals before. However the old seals are leaving a sizeable gap between the glass letting too much water in the door.
Hopefully new ones will sort it!

Ah that sounds cool, I don't suppose you have a link for the new ones you bought?

Reply #7
I ordered them from Classic VW as per Ken's post. £20 ea plus £6.40 postage. I nearly bought one as a test but the postage cost swayed me to buy two!
Hopefully they will do the biz.
I'll post an update when I've fitted them.

Reply #8
I ordered them from Classic VW as per Ken's post. £20 ea plus £6.40 postage. I nearly bought one as a test but the postage cost swayed me to buy two!
  I did a how to...on  the front of 3dr.. somewhere on here..  i always try fit new as the very reason you change the old ones is shrinkage and someone elses old one will be similar.  Maybe slight improvement but effort to change may aswell get a new set and get another 20yrs out of them

Reply #9
  I did a how to...on  the front of 3dr.. somewhere on here..  i always try fit new as the very reason you change the old ones is shrinkage and someone elses old one will be similar.  Maybe slight improvement but effort to change may aswell get a new set and get another 20yrs out of them

Yeah good point on new vs used stuff. I will call the guys you have mentioned on Monday morning and try and get hold of everything I need - new if possible.

A how to would be great, I'll try and find it. I changed the seals on a Mk1 I had years ago but I can't really remember how I did it, I do remember that it didn't go brilliantly haha

Reply #10
The rubbers arrived earlier this week, quality looks good and I got a "free" Crunchie in the box which made a nice afternoon snack!
I will hopefully fit them this weekend. However I made a bit of a faux pas.....I bought 2 x drivers front door rubbers...DOH.
In my eagerness to buy them I forgot about the hockey stick shape. Oh well I'll order 2 x passenger fronts next week if all goes well.

The rubbers are really simple to replace. Just gently prize the metal clip out of the hockey stick end and then prize the rubber out of the similarly shaped metal "channel" that sits over the door skin. I think you need to loosen/remove the door mirror on the front door. When I refit mine to the rear doors I'll be trying to fill the annoying shrinkage gap left by the rear quarterlight rubber seal. I'll make sure I fit really snug at the hockey stick end first...I'll also measure twice and cut once....

Reply #11
@sly_gti cheers for your message. I need the rear doors more but if you had a full set of seals I'd be interested in taking the lot. Also need the seals that go in the window channels.

I need a few other little interior bits and pieces as well, and front and rear small bumpers with chrome strips should you any lying around!

Hi,
Did you want me to dig these out or have you managed to get new?
I'll dig them out this weekend if you need.
Cheers stef