Skip to main content
Topic: Hello from Cheshire / North Wales (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello from Cheshire / North Wales

Good Evening fellow MK2ers.
I hope you are all well, considering the circumstances of the past 12 months.
I just wanted to introduce myself to you all and tell you a bit about myself and my Mk2.

I live in Cheshire currently but have just bought a house in Hawarden in Flintshire. I love modified cars and enjoy the car scene too. My passion lies with VW and, weirdly, Land Rover. I am 36 years old and am here to learn from knowledgeable members and to pick up tips and tricks. Anyway, enough about me, more about the car.

I have a 1990, Tornado Red big bumper mk2. It was in very poor condition when I bought it from a friend in 2016 for £250.
The engine was an 8 valve but had seen better days. I used it in standard form for 18 months, however, it was clear the engine was very tired. The piston rings were shot and the smoke was getting worse by the day. At this point, I decided I wanted to use it predominantly for the track and so (sorry to the purists) I bought a MK4 20v for an engine conversion in 2018. I am embarrassed to say, it is still not complete. In fact, all I have done is remove the old engine!
I have had the 20v overhauled. I had the valve guides replaced, new valve train, head skimmed, block reground, new pistons and rods, balanced crank, solid flywheel, and a VR6 clutch. The engine is built and is ready to go in.
I, in fairness, have been between houses since 2018 and with no space to work on the car, so it has been sat on my trailer under a sheet since then.

Now I have bought this house with a garage, I am hoping to start work on it again to be ready for the summer months.

If you are local to me, give me a holla. If you have any helpful hints with the 20V conversion, give me a DM. I'm all ears especially with the wiring.

Hopefully, lockdown will soon be over and we can get back to enjoying our machines.

Stay safe everyone and look forward to hearing from you soon.
P.S. I have photos I wanted to share but not sure how to attach them. Any pointers would be great.

Re: Hello from Cheshire / North Wales

Reply #1
Hi welcome...
hopefully you get car sorted soon. Plenty of info here.

look at the post and look for my name with photo and then the attachment , its a how to and step by step.

https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=650.msg3733#msg3733

Re: Hello from Cheshire / North Wales

Reply #3
I wrote this guide (a long time ago!)...
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=129.0
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster