Skip to main content
Topic: 8v MAF / AFM... (Read 368 times) previous topic - next topic

8v MAF / AFM...

Cleaning in and around the engine area at the moment and have just done the MAF / Airbox which got me Googling the Bosch part numbers out of curiosity.

The same set up's on the 205 but there it's commonly called the Air Flow Meter and to my eyes seems to be physically identical, it's the internal board that'll differentiates them.

I'd previously taken the AFM on the 205 apart and was able to adjust the tensioning spring so as to reduce emissions quite significantly while not interfering with the smooth running of the car. It wasn't a one off either as I'd also done it on a spare practice one with the same effect, so easily doable.

It's quite well documented on the inter-web if you want to look into it more, process applies to quite a few Bosch injected cars of that era, E30's and the like.

Anyhow this was thrown up when searching... a modern day replacement board for the VW 8v engine MAF / AFM -

Circuit Board

I was aware they were becoming available for the 205 but not others.

The 205 ones get mixed reviews, talk of them not lasting very long, but that's maybe down to poor installation as the originals are very susceptible to damp, hence them failing.

I'd image the re-manufactured ones are the same, requiring the plastic lid to be refitted completely air tight otherwise even atmospheric moisture will cause the resistant material on the board to blur / bleed.