Skip to main content
Topic: In the market for a cheap oil cooler? (Read 494 times) previous topic - next topic

In the market for a cheap oil cooler?

Mine's still the original and visually seems to be OK, but a bit grotty and getting old.

Was checking to see what a replacement one would cost and prices are all over the place, even for the same brands if you don't shop around.

If you're with Amazon Prime they're doing a Febi Bilstein one for £12.38 including postage which can't be bad, even as a spare... see some on eBay looking nearly £60.00 for the exact same thing, mad!

Checked the Febi on-line catalogue and despite what Amazons own part suitability says 14550 is definitely listed for the 1.8 8v PB engine  - no worries though, there's free return postage if I've somehow got it wrong.

Doesn't seem to have a seal included but they're small change, Heritage even do one for £2.00.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008YUWWJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: In the market for a cheap oil cooler?

Reply #1
Mine's still the original and visually seems to be OK, but a bit grotty and getting old.

Was checking to see what a replacement one would cost and prices are all over the place, even for the same brands if you don't shop around.

If you're with Amazon Prime they're doing a Febi Bilstein one for £12.38 including postage which can't be bad, even as a spare... see some on eBay looking nearly £60.00 for the exact same thing, mad!

Checked the Febi on-line catalogue and despite what Amazons own part suitability says 14550 is definitely listed for the 1.8 8v PB engine  - no worries though, there's free return postage if I've somehow got it wrong.

Doesn't seem to have a seal included but they're small change, Heritage even do one for £2.00.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008YUWWJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've found that Amazon and Febi Bilstein products seem to pair very well! I got my coolant sensor from there for about £4 if I remember rightly?
If you find the part number on ETKA they're normally cheap enough on there 👍

Reply #2
I was meaning to reply to this, be very careful replacing the original cooler, i replaced mine roughly 19 years ago for no other reason that it looked grubby and was tidying the bay up, roll on a few weeks and my water is full of oil, i had the head off and went through all the overheating issues etc only to find it was the new oil cooler had broken internally mixing oil and coolant, it was from G&S or ECP back in the day so would assume it was a decent one.

Anyway replaced with original and it's still on the car, I personally would take it off clean it up and spray it maybe?

Reply #3
Definitely good advice, I keep nigh on everything that's being replaced just incase.

Not so much with the VW bits I've needed so far for some reason but I found remanufactured 205 parts were frequently well below the quality of the originals... always prefer to refurbish something if possible than just replace it, not only very satisfying but quite often you end up with a better part.