Skip to main content
Topic: Garage concrete - pvc tiles/epoxy?  (Read 484 times) previous topic - next topic

Garage concrete - pvc tiles/epoxy?

Hi guys,

Any one had any experience with their garages to cover the concrete floor. I made a fubar when I built my garage - I didn't spec a damp membrane so my floor is always cold and has damp in it.

I've been looking at options to both insulate and act as a barrier and came across PVC interlocking tiles. There's also some epoxy paints but I think the tiles will insulate more?

Any other tips? Should I put a layer of something between pvc tiles and the concrete?

Here is a pic of the garage. It's 5m x 3.3m for the garage and 4.5m x 3.3 for the carport. Wish I went for 5.5m on the garage now. It's taken 3 weekends to get it to this state. You can see the damp on the floors too.

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Garage concrete - pvc tiles/epoxy?

Reply #1
I'd go for an epoxy DPM instead - Then lay something over the top of that. You need to stop the damp rising through the slab. Put something straight on top of the already damp surface and you'll get all sorts of issues.

Most epoxy DPM can go over slightly damp surfaces too, I've no brand to recommend but a good write up and idea of pricing here...

https://www.permagard.co.uk/liquid-epoxy-damp-proof-membrane-5-litres

Reply #2
Thanks. I've decided to that as well as the tiles - Epoxy paint on covering, plastic DPM and then the pvc tiles. Last thing I want is too much moisture in the garage rotting my car! 

Reply #3
Cheers for this, I have a concrete shed that could do with the same

Reply #4
Right I'm going belt and braces on this

Epoxy DPM on the slab
Plastic DPM sheet
Thermo and vapor barrier insulation (says it is equiv to 55mm kingspan)
PVC tiles on top

My step Dad works for a food delivery company and is dropping off lambs wool insulation wrapped in a plastic bag/coating that i'm putting between the studs. Got loads of the thermo insulation as well. Should be nice to work in I hope.