Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Refit (Read 1094 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Refit

Hello all

I have a bare shell and a whole front end to refit, engine gearbox, sub frames the lot. I was thinking that i might build up all the drive train parts on the sub frame and cross member and drop the body onto it. I have a chain hoist onto the rafters of my garage (very safe and tested) so I could lift just the front end of the shell up, and i have some skates I could slid the engine etc under the car then lower the shell onto it and fit the sub frame/cross member bolts. i was going to fit the drive shafts, suspension, PS the lot.  Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this method or any views before I start please? Phil

Re: Engine Refit

Reply #1
Looking at your pic, the engine bay is bare.
Your could have issue with steering column, and getting the boot to fit correctly could be a pain with engine in way.

Wiring will have to be through bulk head before brake servo in place and I would run brake lines before fitting engine.

In theory should be ok. I didn't have that luxury just an engine hoist. I built subframe off car and trolley jacked that into position. Built engine bay up and then slotted engine in

Re: Engine Refit

Reply #2
Thanks for the advice re staring, i might put the rear sub-frame in for that reason, cheers Phil