Skip to main content
Topic: Hello! Getting back into it.. (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello! Getting back into it..

Ok where to start right?

I'm heading back home this weekend to get back to reality.
I'm currently in Munich - what a city - they really appreciate their cars and beer, highly recommend it to anybody on this forum if you want a weekend of just everything. I'll be honest.. I've been arrogant and struggled to learn the language, but cmon it's a pandemic don't blame me.

Decisions.  :o
I got 2 cars at home, I always thought I'd be getting into a Porsche now, but just bought a house so coming back to reality.
I have a nice z3 2.8 with decent mileage, it needs a new roof and it would look stunning, amazing to drive, smooth engine and good fun. Too much of a car for what it's worth so always in double mind to get rid off. The missus just loves it. Went to festival of speed at Goodwood with it and that experience gave me many smiles.

And now we got... Henry (fiancée named it that). My good old MK2. My first car. My first project. My first daily. My first engi.. you get it. Was given as a gift from a neighbour. And I've owned it for now 9 years. It's been through a chunk of my life now, but it's the one I always look to. Its been with me in adulthood so far.

I got it on road in 2015 after graduating from uni. Spent all my money on getting it road legal. Took it on my first road trip journey for it to be the worst journey of my life!! I managed to do a 200 mile round trip. The radiator matrix failed, coolant just everywhere, I had a bulge on the tyre and the rear shocks was just something else lol. I was distraught. All my money in this car and what the hell.
Went back to the garage and after several inspections I was then sent back on my way after another bill.

Oh it was good. It was a black 3dr H reg 8v GTI. I loved it. I always said to myself, if it ever died it's going to then get a new heart. I had found 2 great local garages. But there was only one I really looked to for everything due to their knowledge (apart from once or twice..). I took Henry to car shows with my friends. I only put on coilovers and rims and fitted a sub. I loved the car. The rims are Oz vegas, I think they look alright, but I've grown up, i need some rims with better fitment now. They're on 5x130 adapters. Need better springs too.

Someone did a hit a run on the back right and dented it.. that hurt. Still has that bruise.

One time one of the spark plugs went flying out. Straight I went to the garage and got quoted up for a lovely 1.8t. it's the 150bhp agu. the guys did a great job. I was happy. The car was plenty fast. I reckon this was 2017.

Happily got the car mot and serviced every year and just drove it till 2019. Upgraded the brakes to bigger ones from the g60. Was so happy when I got this done.
I do treat him. He also has a twin slanty trackslag 2.5" exhaust.
I was ready to remap and squeeze more from the 150bhp. I knew the car was old and getting older. I just didn't give it the time.
It still has the original gearbox. The reverse selector started to get confused with 1st gear. I sourced a MK3 abf gear box. I was totally out of my depth at this point.. just sourcing it was hard. Took it to the guys to get installed and get its bhp juiced up.

But I got the phone call.

The car had rust. Too much. The floor rusted, and was suggested to repair that first before doing more mechanical work. Great advice, they even gave me a contact, but I was just too scared of the size of the work, I did nothing. Just left it at home.

I never made that decision. I was too busy with life. I started to neglect the car.

I was forced to move the car and I needed to put it on the road.. so I just got it patched up and motd at another place and moved it. I still didn't drive it, clean it or anything, just out of love.

I bought the z3 to do me for the time I stopped driving Henry. I commute for my 9-5 so a car is just a leisure thing.

During the pandemic I moved out to Munich to live with my fiancée in Munich.
And now I'm going back home to get back to reality. Getting married. Moving into my first home. And starting a new life.

Time to get Henry back on road. I want to do him good. And I need to face the problems and do things properly.

I've always used this forum to read through when I first got into my mk 2.
So thought, I would introduce myself and Henry.

Finally got the image to load!

Re: Hello! Getting back into it..

Reply #1
Hi and welcome back.. theres plent of life left in that old car. So its dependant on where  you live and how much you want to spend your savings.
 Lots of help on here, and a few links to garages that can do the work.    I'm based in Retford,  a few good garages and  restorers near me...Oh and me of course lol..(be warned im slow as Fxxk but will get done eventually) another friend of mine is cheaper, and quicker, as he only does cars he wants and not as fulltime service and repair doing drop ins.
You can expect to pay 30 to 80£ per hour these days depending whom you deal with.  So sometimes which is what we/i do is agree a price to work to, and fit in on quiet days. 

Reply #2
Welcome to you both :) and what a read :) I’m glad you have found the love again.

Where are you located?

National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #3
Thanks!

My plan of action is to find someone who can help me with the body work as first priority

Im based in berkshire :)

Reply #4
Welcome back!

Glad you've kept him, you'd be kicking yourself if you'd let him go, especially with prices going up the way they are!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v