Skip to main content
Topic: Mk2 Golf 1.3 - High Temp on Gauge but no warning light or fan (Read 1538 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 Golf 1.3 - High Temp on Gauge but no warning light or fan

Hi,

I'm new here but have been rescuing a little 1988 1.3 Golf over the winter. I'm on the home straight but am stumped with a temp issue.

ISSUE: My temp gauge rises quickly then sits very close to the limit, there is no warming light illuminated and the coolant temp doesn't seem too high.

BACKSTORY: My temp gauge didn't work when I got the car and I wanted to change my clocks for a set from a 8v GTI as I wanted a rev counter. I did this but the gauge still didn't work so that wasn't the issue. I changed the 2 temp sensors...the gauge worked! However, as I've explained I've now got this issue with it looking like its over heating. I've flushed to coolant and it looks to be flowing well. The fan didn't come on a a short test drive today...it has done in the past. How long should it come on after the car has been sat idling?

Is there anything obvious I need to be looking at? Are the temp gauges in the 8V clocks different to the 1.3 gauges? Is the new temp sensor I've got giving a false reading? Can gauges give a false reading? Should the temp warning light be on if the gauge is that high or does it work independently to the needle?

I've bought another sensor to try and see if another gives a different reading.

Sorry if this is a bit of an essay but would appreciate some help!

Thanks, Dave

Re: Mk2 Golf 1.3 - High Temp on Gauge but no warning light or fan

Reply #1
I had a similar problem with my Golf GTI when I first got it. The gauge reading very hot but the car was not overheating. Are you getting coolant returning to the expansion bottle (thermostat working)? Might be the radiator fan temperature switch?

Reply #2
Yeah, I can see coolant returning into the expansion bottle.

I haven't tried replacing the thermostat, is there any way to tell if it is working without replacing it and seeing if it make a difference? I have a fan temp switch arriving this week so will see if that helps but it would be a coincidence that it has decided to stop working as it worked the last time I has the car out.

Reply #3
Check the rad bottom hose gets hot. If it does the thermostat is opening. You can also test the fan using a paperclip across the connections on the connector to the rad temp sensor.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
try lowering the thermostat operating temp, from 90c to 87c to make come on early... and do same for rad fan.  Check sender too. but if fluids running through ok, and fan comes on eventually then you could just have poorly gauge(over reading)

Reply #6
I've tried a few things today including replacing the 2 temp senders, fitted a new thermostat and replaced the fan temp switch. After running the car for 10mins the temp gauge is very close to max, the fan doesnt come on....however, I have realised that the bottom hose is still cold! I assume this means the thermostat isn't opening, the one I have fitted was a Topran one, could it be faulty?

How can I adjust it to open at a lower temp? I assume there isn't anything electrical that effects the thermostat, its purely mechanical?

I have splashed out on an original VW thermostat which will be arriving next week.

Anything else to look at?

Reply #7
Have you got the thermostat in the right way? Not sure if it is feesible to fit it the wrong way tho.
Autodoc Thermostat Replacement
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
I've tried a few things today including replacing the 2 temp senders, fitted a new thermostat and replaced the fan temp switch. After running the car for 10mins the temp gauge is very close to max, the fan doesnt come on....however, I have realised that the bottom hose is still cold! I assume this means the thermostat isn't opening, the one I have fitted was a Topran one, could it be faulty?

How can I adjust it to open at a lower temp? I assume there isn't anything electrical that effects the thermostat, its purely mechanical?

I have splashed out on an original VW thermostat which will be arriving next week.

Anything else to look at?
you can put in boiling water and take measurement  of length or view it open, should change from cold to say  92c   watch a video on boiling water..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7LMSnhsK3g

030.121.113  around 80-84c
 To fit
1.05 HZ, AAK, ACM, AAU
1.3 NZ, MH, NU, 2G, PY, 3F, AAV
1.4 ABD
1.4 Diesel 1W
1.6 ABU
1.6 Diesel RC

056.121.113D around 87c

068.121.113H as low as 80c and upto 90c

[attachment deleted by admin due to attachment age]

Reply #9
Hi guys!

I'm having a similar issue with my Golf 1.6TD mk2 (for a long time, I assume). Just by reading your post I noticed I'm not in the right spot.
My temperature needle sits just slightly before the 3rd mark, not in the middle (vertical) when warm.
I replaced the 2 sensors (black), the radiator sensor and thermostat and it sits still in the same place.
I measured temperature in the expansion tank and it reads 84-89ish.
What sensors are you using? What temperature range should they be?

Thank you.

Reply #10
Hello,

Your gauge is actually sitting about right then.
For some reason, mk2 gauges usually sit a little to the right of centre when at running temp.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v