Skip to main content
Topic: Cam Belt Tensioner Tool... (Read 930 times) previous topic - next topic

Cam Belt Tensioner Tool...

I know you can make do with allen keys etc. but I'd prefer to have a dedicated tool and some of them aren't overly expensive.

Having said that I don't want to be squandering money on the wrong thing so can someone confirm something like either of these is what I'm after, thanks?

Ebay #1

Ebay #2

Re: Cam Belt Tensioner Tool...

Reply #1
First one, part is Hazet 2587 / Matra V159 which is correct.

Reply #2
That's spot on Bill... Cheers.

Reply #3
Actually just checking they are both correct just the bottom one is adjustable, if it's 18mm spacing with 3mm pins it's the same

Reply #4
Ⅰ usually use a locknut wrench of electric disc sander.
The wrench is around $3 in Japan.

Reply #5
Ken

Where can I buy one of those please?
I've lost the wrench I got with my Clarke angle grinder and Machine Mart could only offer me a wrench with fixed "pins" which doesn't fit properly.
One of these could be very useful for many things.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #7
Ordered. With a handle that colour I should be able to easily find it!
Thanks
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #8
Just make sure you dont over tighen the belt as it will cause excessive wear on the auxiliary shaft bearings.

Ideally once taut you should be able to twist the longest section of the belt with ease to approx. 45 degrees and it should then require a lot more force to try and turn it any further.

Reply #9
Just make sure you dont over tighen the belt as it will cause excessive wear on the auxiliary shaft bearings.

Ideally once taut you should be able to twist the longest section of the belt with ease to approx. 45 degrees and it should then require a lot more force to try and turn it any further.

It's 90 degrees on 8v and 45 degrees on 16v

Reply #10

It's 90 degrees on 8v and 45 degrees on 16v

I presumed it was 16v 🤦‍♂️

But yes 90 for 8v 45 for 16v