Skip to main content
Topic: A step closer to getting the Mk2 on the road (Read 766 times) previous topic - next topic

A step closer to getting the Mk2 on the road

I was talking to an old member that lives locally to us; and we made a pack to get our Golf’s back on the road by May.

Insurance- done.  £150 fully comp Lancaster
MOT - booked so fingers crossed
Tax - tried to but no MOT :/

So now to staple the headlining back up! And get o er to the garage :)
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Re: A step closer to getting the Mk2 on the road

Reply #1
Re the headliner. Mine annoyingly dropped. I tried to get as much of the foam off the headliner material and "cardboard" using a scrubbing brush and laying an old sheet in the car to catch the crumbs which seem to get everywhere.
I then used the high temp upholstery spray on both surfaces, let it go off then used a long arm radiator roller. Working from the centre back, then centre outwards. It isn't perfect but there aren't many stretch creases and they are only small.
Watch out for getting the adhesive on the seats tho.
Just checked 'cos I was going to take a pic and it seems to have come unstuck again...arrrgh!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
Yay! Get her running sweet and you can get a few laps in at the meet!

Also, on the headlining, the best way is to really have the liner out and glue it on the ground.
If you think about it, you spray the adhesive on while the headliner is still up (good call with the high temp stuff btw) press it up and gravity will immediately try to seperate it before the glue can cure. Pull the headliner out, get it on the ground and gravity then helps keep it in place.

Also, if the biscuit like liner breaks up, get some paper mache on the case, worked a treat for me!
Untitled by Dave Ackerman, on Flickr
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
To drive her for MOT, it’s getting stapled :0 then I’ll get round to doing it :)

Reply #4
I’m waiting to hear from the garage; gulp!

Reply #5
Nope failed :(

Outer/inner sills need welding yet to see the issue
Binding brakes (not been driven for 12 months)
And lots of bulbs!

Reply #6
Sills are being welded next week;

The garage said approximately £250, do you think that sounds ok; it’s not welding from inner side.

Reply #7
I'm sticking with the bedouin tent lining look for the mo. Want to concentrate on finishing the aircon install. However I will do as Monkey says as a permanent fix when the weather improves.
I guess I could tempoarily go for the comic pape mache effect. Dennis the Menace would go well with tornado red :)

Dreaded rust. The rubberised underseal works a treat until it gets breached..then it just promotes creaping rot. Hope the plastic sill covers aren't hiding more.

Reply #8
£250 sounds pretty good to be fair. I've just spent ages doing mine and don't think i'd have bothered if I could get it done for £250.

I had a 3in by 3in patch welded locally where the fuel lines mount on the rear floor pan and it cost £300. That's when I decided to learn how to weld.

Reply #9
That's not too bad, as rot goes and for the price.

We've spent 4 days welding and cutting on the red one so far and we're only about half way through it all!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
It's amazing how much rust creeps under the cracked underseal. This pic here at a £2 coin patch of underseal missing on the jacking point:

Reply #11
Well £492 and Lucifer is back on the road :)

Reply #12
Yay....

"In classical mythology, Lucifer ("light-bringer" in Latin) was the name of the planet Venus, though it was often personified as a male figure bearing a torch. The Greek name for this planet was variously Phosphoros (also meaning "light-bringer") or Heosphoros (meaning "dawn-bringer")."

I'm sure you've called him many names since he failed his test. Is he now named after the torch wielding welder?  :D

Reply #13

I'm sure you've called him many names since he failed his test. Is he now named after the torch wielding welder?  :D

Yep :)