Skip to main content
Topic: What are these pipes (Read 567 times) previous topic - next topic

What are these pipes

Morning, I've recently inherited a 1990 1.6 Driver. Non-runner at the moment, but was a daily driver until a couple of years ago. If memory serves, it had some carburettor trouble and it was just easier for the owner to put the Golf in the barn and buy something newer.

I need a bit of help identifying two hoses which are shot (eaten by mice...). This pic isn't my engine, but it's identical.

Re: What are these pipes

Reply #1
I've never had a carbed model, only GTI but I belive the following to be correct (or close if not exact)

the one at the rear brings warm air off the manifold, to help with cold starts.
The disc on top has a vacuum controlled valve which shuts off the warm flow when up to temp and opens the cold air feed, which is...
The foam tube, this one extends the inlet to allow cold fresh air to go into the filter rather than just take warm air from the engine bay.
I'm not certain where the other end goes, either clips to the inner wing or the grill area.

Reply #2
Thank you @Eddypeck , much appreciated. You've also inadvertently answered another question of mine, which is that I can work on the carb and make sure that I can get it running before I start to worry about replacing any of these hoses.

Reply #3
Common fault and easily overlooked is the rubber mount the carb body sits on. These can split and suck in air below the carb. I've heard many a story of a full carb rebuild only to discover after parting with £££ that that was all it was.

Like I said, not a carb owner though. Although I think there's a rebuild thread on here somewhere.

Reply #4
You're quite right. It was always described as the carburettor 'base plate' being the problem, so I've ordered a carb gasket and seals kit for £40 and one of the mounting that you mention for £10 off eBay.

What I plan to do is literally just change that mount and see if it runs acceptably. Then once I know that that has worked, then I'll work methodically through the obvious things like changing fuel filters, fuel lines, oil change, spark plugs, cables, air filters etc etc. It seems pointless to do all of those things to a non-runner and then find it's beyond my limited talent to fix it!

Reply #5
I've never had a carbed model, only GTI but I belive the following to be correct (or close if not exact)

the one at the rear brings warm air off the manifold, to help with cold starts.
The disc on top has a vacuum controlled valve which shuts off the warm flow when up to temp and opens the cold air feed, which is...
The foam tube, this one extends the inlet to allow cold fresh air to go into the filter rather than just take warm air from the engine bay.
I'm not certain where the other end goes, either clips to the inner wing or the grill area.

Pretty much spot on, from memory the foam pipe connects to the inner wing, there should be a plastic surround for it to secure to.