Skip to main content
Topic: Oldbie (Read 789 times) previous topic - next topic

Oldbie

Tried to save what I could from previous forum thread.
CL 1.6 AUTO

Re: Oldbie

Reply #1
Been a few years since my last one, so when I saw this 51k miler with PAS for £650, I thought I’d have some fun with it as my daily.

CL 1.6 AUTO

Reply #2
Cheers.
Full service history back to 1990, every receipt, MOT. Central locking. Huge bag of goodies, brakes, wiper blades, wheel bearings, 2 spare wheels & more.

Auto should be useful on the commute too. A more sedentary pace I imagine being a 1.6L, but I am cracking on these days so...

...and the bus can continue to stay dry in winter. I’ve just noticed, the colours seem very similar. Any ideas on Golf paint code options for 1990?
(Bus is LH5U Metallic grey (although it’s blue?)
CL 1.6 AUTO

Reply #3

Better give it a wash I suppose...
MOT needed two items:
1. Fuse No.2 was missing, OSF headlamp wasn’t working.
2. NSR Wheel bearing.
Advisory:
Coolant leak, bad 8mm hose from expansion bottle to radiator and crack in expansion bottle.

All done [emoji736] Rollin’

Scrubbed the old thing a bit.

01 for London! [emoji3]

Black trim next.
^^ Went with 90 degrees clockwise on the throttle stop screw and it’s purring like a kitten.[emoji106]

Recommend Carplan, black trim wax. Brush on, wipe off for best results.

https://youtu.be/1-LUaPuia7k
Rattle can me wheels

Stuck my nuts in the parts washer, not as painful as it sounds!

Lowered it on -30mm Eibach springs. Should settle a bit too, from experience. Firmer, better ride.

Picked up a 5 door with sunroof headliner today in the T3 [emoji846] very fragile
The nightmare begins...

It is done, needs to settle a bit before final fix but certainly very quiet in there now and an interior light, luxury! Light goes off after 5 seconds of door closing which I thought was a nice touch.

Could do with some matching dark grey sun visors and C pillar covers.
1993-2019 all the MOT’s

2010-2015, 51 miles covered

Swapped the radiator out, pretty easy. Best done in this order:
Remove: Front grill, front vents, fan, top brackets, bottom hose, top hose, expansion hose, jiggle it out.

Got given this VW roof rack.

Changed the rocker cover gasket and started cleaning the head up a bit. You can actually see some of it under the grime now.
 I should really sort out a few dings in the bodywork next though, before I start any mild engine detailing.
 I also need to change out the previous owners 22mm copper pipe bypass too from the heater matrix. I’ve found what I think are suitable replacement pipes.

Coolant Hose 191819371E
Coolant Hose 191819373C/D

CL 1.6 AUTO

Reply #4
thank you for coming over to the new site and taking your time to bring your thread over :)
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #5
June 2022 - now for sale, £3,250 ono @ RG8. PM me.
CL 1.6 AUTO