Skip to main content
Topic: Gear linkage - alignment - second gear (Read 758 times) previous topic - next topic

Gear linkage - alignment - second gear

Hi all
I wondered if anyone has much experience of aligning the gear linkage after changing the plastic / rubber bushes.
I recently updated the bushes for the gear linkage in order to change the shift quality. By and large, everything feels good now, however it's difficult when changing down into second from any gear (changing up from first is fine).
I did use the tool from eBay that holds the gearstick in neutral while doing the job, not sure if that still allows for a bit of slack. Is it just a case of fiddling around with the position of the bracket that holds the relay shaft, a bit of trial-and-error with some small adjustments? Or are there any quick wins that I should look at?
I'm also trying to adjust the clutch cable as it's biting very high, but I wonder if that's a separate issue as all the other gears are working fine.
Thanks for any advice!
Will

Re: Gear linkage - alignment - second gear

Reply #1
If you used the locking tool it should be pretty spot on, with the clutch cable is it a manual adjust one with thread or the auto adjusting one?

Reply #2
The clutch cable is the manual one. I loosened the cable locknut but didn’t know how to actually adjust the clutch - I couldn’t seem to move the cable adjusting sleeve or the white plastic wheel thing at the bottom!

Reply #3
If there is any play between the wheel thing and the clutch arm you wind it out to take up the slack, this may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGPbHhUF3nM

Reply #4
Thanks for sharing! I couldn't quite see what he was up to on the video - how do I wind it out to take up the slack? By twisting the plastic sleeve thing? Or the plastic wheel? Or both?

Sorry for the dense questions, new to this!

Thanks

Reply #5
Just a thought, if anyone is able to advise - it's easy to get all gears (including second) with the engine off.  Would this suggest it's more likely to be a clutch problem than a gear linkage problem?

Reply #6
You turn the wheel part to take up the slack, only needs to be just snug don't wind it out so it lifts the clutch arm, with the gears it could be 2nd gear syncromesh, common problem on 02 boxes, double de clutch sometimes helps, can last for years but you could try replacing the gearbox oil with some MTL Redline stuff in the box that sometimes will smooth it out, especially if the oil hasn't been changed for a while.

I would say if it was clutch you would have issues with all gears, if you do go to change the clutch anyway I'd get the box reconditioned, I had mine done years ago and it wasn't that expensive syncro's are still available and they are not expensive, you could buy a 2nd hand box but you may end up in the same boat, cheapest option for the moment is change the oil.

Reply #7
Thanks for your help t2000.
The gearbox oil was changed last year, maybe time to change it again with the MTL Redline.
If it was worn synchromesh, would you expect a grinding noise? I don't have this (yet!)
I'll also try the clutch adjustment see if that helps!

Reply #8
I'd say if it was changed last year for the correct stuff then MTL maybe will not help, it won't be any worse maybe a bit better but probably won't cure it, try adjusting the clutch first.

A weighted shift rod may help though.

Reply #9
Thanks! I'll try the clutch adjustment first. If I've run out of adjustment I guess I'll need to consider a new clutch too.

I did just install the weighted shift rod as I did the linkages (and adjusted the clutch). Now wishing I'd done things one at a time so I could troubleshoot any issues! Still, live and learn.

Reply #10
Not sure if this is relevant in trouble shooting this second gear problem, but double declutching does not help select 2nd on the move  ::)