Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator and Oil pressure switches (Read 487 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator and Oil pressure switches

OK so I have a 1990 1.8 8v jetta (carb, engine code GU)

I want to get some new bits but not too sure which ones I need.

I want to get new radiator fan switch and oil pressure switches but places like GSF website just leave me more confused as to which colors or how many poles mine should have..

Don't have the car at the moment so can't even go pull them out and check.

Send help!!

Re: Radiator and Oil pressure switches

Reply #1
Hi,

Unfortunately, you'll definitely need more information before you go buying.
Your fan switch is almost certainly a 3 pole switch (one earth, one low speed, one high speed).
But you'll need to identify which oil pressure switch you need, as there are two on the car, one high pressure and one low pressure.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
There are early and late fan switches, the early ones same as MK1 and just have 2 poles. Later have 3 as that includes the ability to have the fan overrun with the ignition off for cool down after switch off. As a 1990 you'll have the later fan switch.

Oil pressure switch, I wasn't aware there were multiples, but sites like this http://www.oemepc.com/vw/ are good for getting part numbers for specific models/years/engine codes with the OE part no it's often easier to search or cross reference and get the right part.

Reply #3
Hi,

Unfortunately, you'll definitely need more information before you go buying.
Your fan switch is almost certainly a 3 pole switch (one earth, one low speed, one high speed).
But you'll need to identify which oil pressure switch you need, as there are two on the car, one high pressure and one low pressure.

Both of them needed.. and thanks for the help :)

Reply #4
Oh and coolant temperature sensor too...

Absolute noob here so be gentle lol