Skip to main content
Topic: Need new headlining  (Read 1911 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Need new headlining

Reply #15
Would be interested to know how well the material on these match the original material

You can buy the original material from VW heritage - maybe you can buy that abs get the company on eBay to use it

Reply #16
I actually used the heritage stuff on my blue golf, it's not original, but VERY close to it.
They've done a good job getting it reproduced.
The material on the one I've ordered is just straight black, but they give enough to recover the sunroof and sun blinds, so it should all blend in ok when it's done.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #17
The original on my H-reg Driver is cream, and I think vinyl rather than brushed material.  Does anyone know a good source for this material, as the VW Heritage kit seems to be grey (perhaps GTI oriented?):  VW Heritage Headliner

Reply #18
That one from Heritage is the one I bought for my blue golf. It's nigh on identical to a black gti one.
My last one, I bought a whole headliner from headliner-world on ebay and it was an excellent fit:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184392433841?hash=item2aeea540b1:g:eOIAAOSwDDpdzDJ5
They say they do cream, might be worth a message?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #19
Thanks, I've sent them a question about it.  Ideally, I'd like to get hold of something close to the original vinyl cloth, if possible.  I may end up getting the uncovered version and the cloth separately, if I can track it down.

Reply #20
@Monkey I've just received my headlining from headliner world, I'm curious how you redo the sun visors. Especially the hinge bit. Do you have any pictures of yours or any advice? Thanks

Reply #21
@Monkey I've just received my headlining from headliner world, I'm curious how you redo the sun visors. Especially the hinge bit. Do you have any pictures of yours or any advice? Thanks

I've recently fitted one of these headliner world headlining and I pondered the same question.

I haven't done mine yet, and tbh not sure if I will bother. But if I were to do it I would cut the two sides to shape. Slightly oversize and sew them together along all but the top edge to create a bag. Then hand stitch the top edge, leaving the cut outs for the hinge and hook. Obviously any opening will need to be hemmed. Perhaps take to an upholsterer.

I can't imagine any attempt to just spray glue and cover would work very well.

Reply #22
There is a place called one up upholstery, I was going to ask them to do it as they have done them before and look very good.
I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do it myself!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #23
I’ve also fitted a reproduced headlining from headliner world, based on good feedback on this forum. Really pleased - it fits well, looks very close to original and appears to be well made.

Curious how people tackled the sunroof aperture though? (A small line is already cut out of the fabric, but you need  to cut the rest yourself.) I’m sure it’s not difficult but you only get one shot!
Is it a case of cutting it almost to size, but leaving a 1/2 cm of additional material to tuck into the sunroof seal?  And cutting in at each corner at 45 degrees?