Skip to main content
Topic: Gear box inspection plug... (Read 522 times) previous topic - next topic

Gear box inspection plug...

Mine got mangled trying to take it out... don't think they were ever a great fit, plus plastic's always going to come off worse against metal.

Seems to be plenty of 'new' ones out there and maybe some of them are even genuine but I suspect the vast majority aren't.

Wouldn't be so bad but for the extortionate price being asked by some (and it'll likely need replaced again after the next time you take it off).

Just plucked this one off eBay.com (not co.uk) at random, haven't used them and there's countless others but try to find a seller offering multi-buy and make a cheeky offer for a bag of them.

Ended up getting 6 posted to the UK for £7.50 at the start of the year, arrived in about 2 x weeks - wish I'd offered even less.

The ones I got fitted fine, and the quality's spot-on, it's only a bit of plastic after all - probably copied from an original.

eBay

Re: Gear box inspection plug...

Reply #1
What did you use to screw it in? Phil

Reply #2
My original VW one sat quite proud, you could see about 1/3 of the threaded part.

Foolishly I thought 'that can't be right' and tightened it down that last bit... the effort it took should have been a warning!

Used this set up to do it - one of those oil filter removal things that accepts 1/2" rachets, flipped over and an extension bar.

Very, very loose fit so no real leverage available once you get passed hand tight, but that's the point - don't go beyond this or you'll never get it back out, short of mashing it up and even then that'll take some effort.

The original idea seems to be you'd pull out the inner plug to see the timing marks and the green bit wouldn't need to be moved again but that's nigh on impossible, and even with the green part off they're still pretty obscured - you will need to take both parts out again, don't screw it right in!

Reply #3
Excellent Thanks

Reply #4
I have this socket

Reply #5
27mm by looks of it

Reply #6
In the end i just did it up hand tight , trying to unscrew it now i cant! I remember that there was a special tool for dynamically timing the ignition, it had a photo sensor that went in where the black plug sits.

Reply #7
Ace, good find. Purchased 😁