Skip to main content
Topic: 1.6 Ryder 16v KR conversion  (Read 517 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6 Ryder 16v KR conversion

Hi, new to the forum and this is my first post.
Currently own a 1991 1.6 Ryder, looking into swapping the 1600 to a 1800 KR. If I wasn’t already 5 figures into my Mk2 I would just sell up and purchase a GTI but that’s out of the question. Plan is to go with a 16v KR on twin 40’s. I’ve looked into just about every swap possible, bought a 20vt and everything else but changed my mind and want to stick with a Mk2 lump. So my question is what sort of work am I looking at to fit the KR ? Im making the job easier with the carbs but what else do I need to make it work ? Engine, gearbox, shafts, loom, ECU, tank and pump ? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: 1.6 Ryder 16v KR conversion

Reply #1
Dia duit agus fáilte go dtí an club!

Reply #2
Thank you 😁

Reply #3
 Hello and welcome from me.
scs

Reply #4
Welcome along!

I'd highly recommend getting a brake upgrade while you're at it.
You're going to be essentially doubling the horsepower, so I'd say a servo, master cylinder and front brake size upgrade would be a very wise move.

Also, if you're getting your hands on a breaker, it would be a good idea to have the front ARB off of it.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. Brakes have already been swapped over should have mentioned in the original post. Using 16v hubs, callipers, carriers, mtec drilled and grooved disks and pagid pads. Also have a GTI subframe with ARB kicking about somewhere freshly poly bushed with vibratechnik mounts

Reply #6
Sounds like you've got all the major things covered.
Though I'd still do the servo and master cylinder if you haven't, it'll make a big difference.
Also, when mounting the engine, I typically go for good standard rear mounts and a solid front one.
Also also, get a four branch on there while the engine is out, it's a complete pig of a job once the engine is in!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #7
Brilliant, master and servo will be covered because they need doing anyways. Is that about all I need for the conversion or is there anything I’ve missed ? Plan is to run a phaset pump and filter king for the carbs. Just need to sort the small bits like the coolant relocation pipe to pass the manifold and a intake manifold for the carbs with either a plate fabbed up to move the alternator or a smaller intake manifold as so to not foul the alternator