Skip to main content
Topic: Rusting front scuttle panel (Read 911 times) previous topic - next topic

Rusting front scuttle panel

Just watched a  comprehensive Buyer's Guide on You Tube,that says a rusting front scuttle on the Mk2 is a walk away item,because it is a major strutural repair.
Is this true,as mine has a little bubbling up,which I thought wasn't major?!

Re: Rusting front scuttle panel

Reply #1
It’s not that major and not detrimental to the car’s structure or integrity but it could be costly to repair if you have to pay to get it down professionally.

It can be a real rip of the iceberg situation, the small bit of bubbling you see creeping out from under the rubber may just be a small part of the whole problem. You won’t know without taking the windscreen out.

But caught early you may be lucky and might not even require a repair panel.

Best of luck

Reply #2
Thanks for that,Eddypeck! I need a new windscreen anyway,as mine has a chip in it.
The bubbling isn't too bad-a couple of bubbles of about 2-3 mm,amd one area of about 2cm.
So I'd better get cracking and get it sorted ASAP, before it gets any worse!
I've had one quote of £700 (without a windscreen replacement factored-in),and I'm gonna get another.
Cheers.

Reply #3
£700, jeez that's pricey, I was quoted 200 but without paint but mine was pretty bad in one spot about the size of a 50p but I dug it out about 14 years ago and rust protected it and filled it and dusted over with a spray can, it lasted quite well because when removed the hole was there but it hadn't spread so it was welded up, the rest of the scuttle surround was fine.

I would get the screen out and assess it, you may well be lucky and it's just crusty, rub it all down and treat it, then primer it up and rattle can it, can get a decent finish, at least you know it will hold it back for a while.

Reply #4
Thanks for that,Eddypeck! I need a new windscreen anyway,as mine has a chip in it.
The bubbling isn't too bad-a couple of bubbles of about 2-3 mm,amd one area of about 2cm.
So I'd better get cracking and get it sorted ASAP, before it gets any worse!
I've had one quote of £700 (without a windscreen replacement factored-in),and I'm gonna get another.
Cheers.

Are they also quoting for removing and re-fitting the dash.

Reply #5
Id have thought that any mk2 at this stage will need a front scuttle repair if it hasnt been done at some point in the recent past. I wouldnt call it a walk away problem necessarily as the panel can be bought, the dash can be removed pretty easily as can the screen - as already pointed out. When mine needed done (the corners on mine were rotten) i had the dash pulled out and drove it to the body shop so all they needed to do was lift out the windscreen. I cant remember the exact cost but it was somewhere in the region of a couple of hundred ££. Should also add that was around 2015/2016 or so, the build thread will have photos of the before and after.

if the scuttle is really bad then it could be an indicator to the rest of the car and collectively with other issues it may be a walk away job, depends on how brave you are when looking at the overall car i guess!