Skip to main content
Topic: Fly Wheel / Clutch / Pressure Plate opinions... (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

Fly Wheel / Clutch / Pressure Plate opinions...

I've a new clutch / pressure plate bought, so not looking to reuse the ones pictured below... the fly wheel's (hopefully) going back on.

You're seeing them just after removal (came off really easily) and haven't cleaned anything.

I think they're the originals and the car's done 75K, but been immobile for 10+ years, drove fine for the short time it was used before laying up.

Apologies for the dodgy photo's - joys of working alone, but if possible can anyone give an opinion as to condition?

Don't know much about the cars previous history and curious if they can maybe give away anything.

Re: Fly Wheel / Clutch / Pressure Plate opinions...

Reply #1
The flywheel looks fine. The clutch plate is not excessively worn and does not appear to have had a hard life. All parts seem to confirm the cars mileage.
scs

Reply #2
Great, thanks... Good news then, I'm pretty confident the car's genuine and virtually 100% original but with not much in the way of written history for a big chunk of it's life it's never going to be certain.

Reply #3
Agree with SCS, right on the money there.
That clutch is almost certainly original too - nearly all clutches are grooved now.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Famous last words, but everything's coming off this car with little or no effort.

Read your comments about the exhaust manifold nuts (and other peoples too) yet mine didn't fight me at all, and I took them off when the engine was still in the car.

Do you think it all being original is something to do with it... still proper factory torques etc. that haven't been worked with over the years?

Reply #5
I think it's more to do with the low mileage and probably better storage of the car - less heat cycles/wet conditions.
I'm pretty sure mine was original, it certainly doesn't look like it's been touched before.
But it was left outside standing for years, that would not have helped matters.

Certainly sounds like you've got a good one.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Flywheel cleaned up pretty well... I know it looks dirty in one of the before pics, but the amount of (clutch plate?) dust that came off it was genuinely surprising, really thickly caked on in all those indents and the entire rim.

Took care and used plenty of brake cleaner to soak it before hand - judging by the number and placement of bores on the face and rim I'm guessing these need to be nigh on perfectly balanced.

Wonder would an uneven build up of enough dirt be able to throw it off?