Skip to main content
Topic: Heater Matrix Bypass Valve... (Read 1257 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater Matrix Bypass Valve...

Not mine... inter-web image.

Is this the retro-fit bypass valve VW used to 'fix' the problem of an exploding heater matrix?

Re: Heater Matrix Bypass Valve...

Reply #1
Yes, but not needed if you upgrade the matrix with a mk3 newer type, they were a pain in the ass themselves.

Reply #2
Whoever owned my car when the recall was current doesn't seem to have been too concerned and it's the original exploding type still fitted - good to know it's a straightforward fix, valves don't seem to be easy got and exppensive if you do.

Reply #3
Whoever owned my car when the recall was current doesn't seem to have been too concerned and it's the original exploding type still fitted - good to know it's a straightforward fix, valves don't seem to be easy got and exppensive if you do.

If you want to retain the OE mk2 one I still had the valve that I recently gave to Martin so he has one he aint using as he put the MK3 matrix in but tbh my heater matrix dumped it's contents on me anyway even when I had the valve on, VW sort of bodged it with that valve.

Reply #4
I’ve got the one here I took off of mine. I fitted a new branded matrix, binned off the valve and replaced the cut hoses.

Flow through the valve was ok (to best of my knowledge)  before I removed it, I know they can gunk up.

Not sure why I kept it, not like I’ll ever refit it, just a bit of a hoarse I guess.

Reply #5
Because I didn't take the dash out first time round the old matrix is still in place (before I realised they have issues), but then the engine was still in the car too. Had toyed with the idea of getting the valve and save me the hassle of dismatling everything, but sounds like they're not the fix VW would have you believe.

Now that I can remove what's necessary much more easily, I think the sensible thing to do is replace the old matrix altogether.

Thanks for the offer Bill... you should stick it up on eBay - can't even find one for sale at the moment, last one I did see was over £30.00 (used).

Reply #6
I did this job very recently, replaced the matrix and junked the valves. I used the standard matrix. Just FYI, you don't need to remove the dash to do it, just the heating and ventilation part. It took two of us 6 hours to do but that included a good clean and re-foaming the flaps, draining and refilling the system. Made a world of difference though.
TBH I think this is a maintenance/replacement job that should be done every 5 years but flushing and replacing the coolant every other year or more often would make a big difference too.
Phil
All sorts of stuff done, lots more to do!

Reply #7
Good advice... I'd imagine it's a job that's not done as often as it's needed and only gets dealt with when a problem arises.

New matrix's, even from reputable brands aren't overly expensive either, it's the thought of all the work involved that puts people off I suppose. Good too to know the dash doesn't have to come out completely,

Having said that, I've interior 99% out again and access should be much, much better... trouble is the car's way up on stands at the moment, think I'll wait till it's on firmer ground again before having a go.