Skip to main content
Topic: KR 16v Strange engine noise (Read 558 times) previous topic - next topic

KR 16v Strange engine noise

Hi

My 16v has developed a strange screeching noise. Immediate thoughts were the distributor as it sounds like a rotational noise coming from the gearbox side of the engine, topside. I have just fitted a newly reconditioned Bosch dizzy and the noise is still there (albeit it now idles a lot smoother so one improvement!)

Small backstory on the engine: Block and Head bought s/hand, both done a small number of hours running since recon prior to my purchase. Head is a Robert Cox polished & ported and block is standard 1.8. It has piper 270 cams with an adjustable vernier on the inlet cam. Done approx 2000 miles since install with zero issues until now.

A link to video showing the noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFw5DUmNpzs

It only starts doing it when the engine is hot and has no effect on how it performs/drives.

Any thoughts?

Thank you. :)

Re: KR 16v Strange engine noise

Reply #1
That's definitely coming from the gearbox end? It sounds just like an alternator with a failed bearing would do.
You could pop the auxiliary belts off and run it for a couple of seconds, see if that changes anything.
But obviously, don't leave it running, as the water pump won't be!

One other thing I could suggest is to use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope. Put it next to your ear and then on to various parts of the engine, to see if you can determine exactly where it is.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have tried the old screwdriver trick. It seems pretty loud if you put it on the cam cover, dizzy end.

The alternator was a new unit fitted when the engine was built up. I may try running it without the belts momentarily just to rule it out. The noise is slightly 'behind' the engine revs. Do you think a vacuum/air leak could make the noise?

Reply #3
Sounds like a vacuum leak kind of noise to me.

Reply #4
If it only does it when it's hot could it be water related? or a bearing that running dry?
scs