Skip to main content
Topic: Basic Maintenance (Read 445 times) previous topic - next topic

Basic Maintenance

Hi Folks,
Having recently bought an '87 5 8v door,and already having a few jobs done to it,I was thinking what 4 or 5 things do I need to look out for most at risk of failing?
Also,I'd like some practicality to the car,so what maximum distance would anybody undertake that the cars are capable of doing,without breaking down.(I'm scared of Smart Motorways,particularly!).

Re: Basic Maintenance

Reply #1
I used my 86 GTI as a daily driver for a good few years doing a 300 mile a week commute.

Well maintained there’s no reason to not use it as any other car.

Coolant system overhaul is sensible, with new heater matrix core and thermostat. Check condition of all
Rubbers and replace as required. If original they could be perishing after 30+ years.

Same goes for all rubber parts, inc aux belts.

What spec car? Fuel hoses may be a consideration if you’re planning on using e10 fuel and a carb check. If a GTI you should be running that in super anyway so no need to worry as much as that’s staying e5.

Re: Basic Maintenance

Reply #3
If you're looking the absolute minimum then I'd recommend changing the oil / filter quite often - correct grade oil + a reputable branded filter, don't scrimp.

How often's up to you / your vehicles use, but to give you an idea I do the Peugeot every 1500 miles - if DIY then £20 will do it, buttons compared to the benefits to an older engine.

First time around I'd also recommend dropping the sump (new gasket) and completely draining it so you're starting afresh.

Also a good opportunity to check / clean the oil pump and sieve the old oil to see what's lurking - can highlight an as yet unforseen problem before it happens.